Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like to shin up my side walls of my tires what is the best stuff to use... i used the armarole but people say there is something in it that actually ruins the tire is this true?? if so what cleaner should i use?? thanx

·
Registered
446 Posts
Tires now adays, are oil based. Use something that had a good amount of oil in it. I like to use black magic tire wet. makes for an awesome glossy look!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I use the BM tire wet too and depending on how often it rains and what you drive through, it can last anywhere from a week to over a month. Good stuff, but I think it attracts the brake dust more than without it, not significantly though.
This might be common among tire shine products.

·
Registered
446 Posts
airdrummer said:
The meguiars nxt tire shine is good stuff. It lasts longer than the black magic.
Hmmm, my black magic lasts for weeks in dry weather. Well, I shouldn't say that, it lasts from wash to wash.

·
Registered
279 Posts
FULLBLOWN said:
Hmmm, my black magic lasts for weeks in dry weather. Well, I shouldn't say that, it lasts from wash to wash.
The black magic lasts decently, but I think the meguiars lasts a little longer, and the shine is better.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I like Meguiers & also Stoners. The Meguiers also has a pleasent smell to it too.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Any Degreaser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheaper then any car wash brand. Just spray on some degreaser Scrub and wipe off/
Then use anything that has Silicone in it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
a product called bleachwhite (it may be spelled differntly) is awesome; i detail cars and i use this product and i have had no problems. you can see the dirt lift off the tire. forget using anything else.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would not use ANYTHING with bleach in it on wheels. Bleach will turn the tires a dull gray, and can screw with the finish on your alloy wheels. Sure it cleans well, but it cleans too well. Anything with that volatile of a chemical make-up is not good on finished products.

I know it takes more elbow grease, but i'd switch ASAP to some simple Soap and Water, or Tire Cleaner. Scrub really well, rinse really well. Apply some WATER based tire dressing (as oil based doesn't penetrate, even though it is more durable), wax the rims, reapply tire dressing, ( you could use a lighter coat of an oil based product now that the FIRST coat was water based) and you're all done.

There is an EXCELLENT COMPREHENSIVE guide to auto detailing at this link. It's a good read, i reccommend it.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts