Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me when and if you find a good brush to clean the rims on the back side of the tire. I did them by hand today and it was a real pain. 20 spoke titanium rim.[?|]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Can anyone tell me when and if you find a good brush to clean the rims on the back side of the tire. I did them by hand today and it was a real pain. 20 spoke titanium rim.[?|]
twenty spokes.. yeah. PITA. that is EIGHTY spokes total.
I have forty total, with the splits in the five spoke 17" wheel. so i have small pockets to get clean. Cleaning the interior of the wheel is my peeve. It is hard to get at the area covered by the disk brake.
I was looking for a little stool to sit and do the cleaning.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I"m not aware of any special brush short of putting the car up on jackstands so you can get underneath and get the wheel easily, but at that point you might as well take the wheel off though!

I have lifts in my garage and raise the vehicle up so I can clean inside the wheel. Pretty costly option for the average car cleaning at home though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Google Daytona wheel brush. I've gone through 3 in the last 10years, best brush I've ever bought. Kinda pricey but well worth it. Get the entire barrel and caliper without issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a sponge on a stick at Auto Zone. It is like a towel material. It is a blue color and only cost 4.99. That with some turtle wax rim cleaner and they are like new! Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at all of them. Just could not spend alot this week. This worked well for anyone who has the rims like I have.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nice wide 5 spokes here :D .. I clean the inside of the wheel with a microfiber cloth by hand. They still look mint!
Same here. The 18" have plenty of space for cleaning the inside. I just use a brush covered in a towel-like fabric and soapy water. Spray them, scrub/wipe a bit with the brush, rinse off.

Takes about 5 minutes per wheel, but they still look brand new.

Oh, and anytime I change the oil or rotate the tires I take all 4 wheels off, clean and polish them, then put them back on. Just the right amount of wax and the wheels will shine forever.

Then again, I'll be buying some black rims for my summer tires in the spring. Have a different plan for those =P

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i bought a really good, yet soft, brush specially made for cleaning wheel rims from meguiers on line.... I liked it so much i bought a second on... cleans in between the spokes well as well as behind the calipers and inside the rim....I use them on the polished 17" wheels and on chrome 16" wheels on my zx3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts