Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i searched to no avail... my FS exhaust tip is turning black on the outside... inside i kinda understand but the outside looks like ass.... any advice on what to use to clean it with?

·
Registered
373 Posts
What I have done, and it worked quite well with some effort is:

Get yourself a scothbright pad (Not the steel wool version, but the plastic one) and wash out all of the green crap that comes in it...

Get some spray, wheel and tire cleaner and or simple green... something quite harsh chemicallly... Best I have found, is the Mothers FX tire cleaner.

Spray on, and start scrubbing away...

Due to the fact that the residue is carbon, and the fact that nothing will cut through carbon, a lot of elbow grease is required.

When you're all done polish it up and you are good to go...

I think i have some pics of mine, i'll post them up if I can find them.

·
Lurking
1,999 Posts
use a fine steel wool u can get it at any home improvement or paint store... gut scrub lightly and it will clean it right up. i use that to clean 60 year old chrome tips on classic cars.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Okay. Go to walmart or any other parts store. Buy a can of mother's mag polish. Take a soft towel and dab a little on. Rub it in like you are waxing. It will turn black. Keep rubbing and whipping off. This will break down the carbon and oil and bring back the shine. After it looks all clean. Take the aerosal window cleaner of any type, spray the surface and wipe off with a shop towel or paper towel. Do this twice or till no more black comes off. Then stand back, admire, and give me rep ;)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
My method is I clean it with Meguiars all purpose cleaner to get off most of the grit. Then go at them with super fine grit steele wool and finally I use Mother's metal polish. Always comes out spectacular.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
oven cleaner

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Alrite check it out, forget all the spraying and shit. At autozone they sell this material in a silver clinder. Works amazing. all u do is cut a piece off and wip the tip down

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
rubbing compound and some elbow greese. [goofydrunk] Also after you get it looking new and shiny, you will want to wax it up real nice. Then it will be easy to clean next time.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Alrite check it out, forget all the spraying and shit. At autozone they sell this material in a silver clinder. Works amazing. all u do is cut a piece off and wip the tip down
I've used that on wheels and bumpers before, it works real good. I can't think of the name of it tho right now. I'll have to pick some more up for my exahust tip. It last quite a while cause you only need a little peice at a time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've heard bike guys say that pouring vinegar on a hot exhaust will clean the surface--makes sense. Maybe then a light scrub with steel wool

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Okay. Go to walmart or any other parts store. Buy a can of mother's mag polish. Take a soft towel and dab a little on. Rub it in like you are waxing. It will turn black. Keep rubbing and whipping off. This will break down the carbon and oil and bring back the shine. After it looks all clean. Take the aerosal window cleaner of any type, spray the surface and wipe off with a shop towel or paper towel. Do this twice or till no more black comes off. Then stand back, admire, and give me rep ;)
Just bought some tonight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts