Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a Sterling Grey Hatchack, any suggestions for cleaning?

Gonna clean her sometime this week or even this weekend. Is there a certain type of material that works better (as far as no scratches and a good finish). Should I bother with any type of waxes or any type of finish polish?

I want her to look as beautiful as possible. I dont want to scratch her all to hell with the wrong type of cloth.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just buy good micro fiber stuff. I know some people are very brand specific about this, but I think as long as you spend decent money, you will get a good one.

I think I use a mequiars cloth, but I am not even certain about that. As long as its a decent microfiber, you will probably be okay.

I would recommend hand washing (again, with a good quality microfiber cloth) and two buckets (one for clean water, one to rinse) but that might be too hardcore for you.

If you go to a wash bay, I would probably only use the pressure washer. I have never trusted those touchless auto systems. And don't even consider the ones with the big drum style brush, if that makes sense. Those are horrible for your finish.

If anybody disagrees with me, chime in...................

·
Registered
747 Posts
I clayed my car when I got it to get rid of things like rail dust and then used Blackfire Wet Diamond to seal it. This worked really well. Great way to ensure your car is free of defects as well (because its gonna take a looong while to do).

·
Registered
263 Posts
I clayed my car when I got it to get rid of things like rail dust and then used Blackfire Wet Diamond to seal it. This worked really well. Great way to ensure your car is free of defects as well (because its gonna take a looong while to do).
I clayed my car too. I didn't see much dirt in the clay, so I'm not sure if it was really worth the time. If you have time to waste, this is a good place to start. Mother's makes a kit that comes with clay, spray wax/finish, and a microfiber towel. Otherwise I take it to a local place that hand washes it for $11.00 for full service.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had all these little black dots all over the car in various places and I got them out with a clay bar. I also hand wash and would never consider using any kind of automatic car wash of any kind.

I haven't really waxed the car yet but I keep it very clean by touching it up all the time. I'm using Lucas Slick Mist which claims to be a wax but it's definitely not your traditional wax. It does work very well for touch ups plus it smells like cinnamon.

I need to find or make a special brush for cleaning the rims I got. Those things are a pain to clean with twenty spokes to do. I knew they were going to be harder to clean but I'll think of something to make it easier.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
No need to clay bar your Focus, it's too new to worry about that.

Like others have said, a microfiber mitt is a good way to go. Wool is also great, although they don't last as long.

I use microfiber drying towels as well, after I get the majority of water off first with a California Water Blade (the original, not the jelly blade - those suck).

As long as you keep your mitt clean you should be fine. If you drop it on the ground make sure you thoroughly clean and inspect it before using it again.

As far as waxes, soaps and other chemicals I'm sure you'll get dozens of responses so really it's all up to you. I doubt any of the name-brand products will hurt your paint when applied properly.

Tony

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I use microfiber drying towels as well, after I get the majority of water off first with a California Water Blade (the original, not the jelly blade - those suck).
I like the California Water Blade as well. I used one for the first time on this car! I don't know why nobody told be about water blades sooner! Granted I'm only 22.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I need to find or make a special brush for cleaning the rims I got. Those things are a pain to clean with twenty spokes to do. I knew they were going to be harder to clean but I'll think of something to make it easier.
I have a '01 SE and got some WHITE, yes white, OZ Superturismo WRC (16 spoke) wheels over 4 years ago... I love spokes, but let me tell you how much of a pain they are to cleannnn every time to keep them white. Spent so much time to keep them white when washing my car. Lesson learned, never get white wheels again haha. So on my new Focus Ti I will enjoy not cleaning all those spokes I'm only going to have 5 spokes it will cut my cleaning time tremendously!!
[clap]

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use microfiber cloths for everything but the glass, they leave little microfibers all over that drive me nuts.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I am not much for cleaning cars.
My last car, after four years I just stopped bothering with it at all. So eight years plus of zero attention. Though if it was snowy I might rinse it off after into the underground parking area.
Having a never freezing, indoor large parking area under the building is really great in the snow belt. Never have to clean snow off car, or shovel it out!!! Also nice in the rain. Never get wet parking at home.. Cool.
As long as the new car has my interest, i will tend to keep it clean. First time with a yellow car, so I know it will look really ugly when dirty. Seeing Yellow Cougars all dirty was disgusting. But i am no perfectionist.
I have some seriously old Zymol polish, and I used that on my Focus. [thank you]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have been thinking of a wash and wax day. Even more today as I took her into Manhattan's west side piers! Potholes, crazy driving, traffic, and road grime...I think it is now time to clean her up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use Zanio polish comes from NJ. You can order on line. It is the best product I have ever used. Works great on black finish as well. smells great and not hard to work with.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have tried several washes over the years and I like "Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax " the best by a long shot. Leaves the car looking waxed. It's rather pricy for wash soap but lasts almost a year for me (I'm a weekly car washer in the summer)

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G17748
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G177...PWAW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1317236629&sr=8-6 ( think I got it at Walmart)

I am not much for cleaning cars.
My last car, after four years I just stopped bothering with it at all.
Say it ain't so Elizabeth!! Blasphemy from an enthusiast [bigcry] .This is certainly true for me with the family mini-van...but a nice looking car like a '12 Focus. NOOOOO

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Say it ain't so Elizabeth!! Blasphemy from an enthusiast [bigcry] .This is certainly true for me with the family mini-van...but a nice looking car like a '12 Focus. NOOOOO
With my new YELLOW color car, it is going to be harder to ignore the dirt.
This week has been none stop drizzle around here, so the few times out it has gotten pretty icky.
I left it today.. Have to go down into the garage and wipe it off, maybe a little waxing...
(Nice i have indoor underground (warm in Winter) parking...) [hihi]

ADDED: I used to, after a rain, once in awhile, just run my hand over the dirty hood, and top, and rear,to 'clean' them off. usually ignored the sides, unless they were grey with dirt. Then i would do the same on them with a paper towel.
Disgusting. it usually looked good. if looked at casually. (I had Amazon Green paint.)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had no idea about this product before now, I'm going to pick one up for sure. I was using the microfiber towel and it would get drenched and then have to wring it out several times. Great product.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I had no idea about this product before now, I'm going to pick one up for sure. I was using the microfiber towel and it would get drenched and then have to wring it out several times. Great product.
I just ordered a clone of the Cali' blade off Amazon, from Pilot. Of the clones, it has the best ratings. $10, free shipping. (I ordered vol3+4 of Reboot TV series. to fill out the $25 order to get free shipping. I always keep a few items in wish list to fill in the orders. LOL)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts