Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi gang-

i've been looking for a commercially available sub cabinet to fit into the rear of the ZX3, tucked under the two side decks above/behind the wheel well. has anyone seen an install like this?

i'm okay with woodwork, but if there's one available that i can bolt in it would save me the headache of cutting & fitting MDF. but then, i could probably make one clever enough to stuff an amp in there, too.

i'm just not a fan of slapping an enormous box in the back that makes it useless to have a hatchback (let alone a trunk of any kind ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got mine for 5 or 600 if I remember right back during the summer. You can order it through any JL Audio official distributor, like Tweeter, Good Guys, etc. It takes a few weeks to get delivered, but sounds awesome and most of the trunk space is saved ;)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
WOW! are they really THAT much? i was thinking somewhere around $200-$300 and was planning on picking it up with my tax rebate next year, but i may have to re-think everything now!

Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yep, they go for that much and it comes with a 10" W3V2 JL Audio sub and the enclosure itself. The price is a little high, but it will last for a while for sure ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't think JL makes any other configuration - at least I haven't heard it when I got mine. As for the stealthbox, I think JL is the only one who makes it for the Focus. So you probably have to make your own enclosure if you want something similar. Good luck ;)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
ha! well, i guess my original idea of putting in a single 12 with banana clips for easy removal still stands!

thanks though,
Mike

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool, thanks

thanks, hotfocus, for the tip. that's a pretty clean install! it even leaves room to strap an eggyolk-yellow fire extinguisher on the side. ;)

what's in the space underneath the woofer, looks like a lot of extra room there, unless it's some kind of baffling or something. i might have to knock-off their design, i want to be able to stuff a small amp in the same enclosure/area, too. did you just go with the amp under the seat?

thanks again, i knew i had such a good idea that someone had to have had it first :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nope, it's a sealed enclosure and there is no room for an amp bellow the woofer. My amp is installed on the passanger side together with the cap. I try to find the pics I put up previously and post it here.

Edit:
Here is an old thread with some pics on my install.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum_archive/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7854

Also, I just saw that the stealthbox was 500 and not 6 - I didn't remember correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts