Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever clean their throttle body before? Man. My car has around 52k miles on it and just did it for the heck of it today as I was cleaning my air filter. Take it off and boy oh boy its dirty! On the throttle plate and the interior of it. Peer down into the intake manifold and its filthy in there too... Thanks EGR.... Soooo got some TB cleaner and sprayed the heck outta the TB and its clean clean clean now and sprayed a bunch into the IM as well and let it all sit. Started her up and it sputtered a bit but runs fine now. Don't really notice any regained performance at all but it sure makes me feel better.. lol. Although I did remove the negative battery cable so thats probably why it feels the way it does.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
so when you clean the TB, you just take it off and spray the TB cleaner?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I get an old tooth brush and scrub it along with TB cleaner.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well mine wasn't caked on that bad. The TB cleaner took it all right off. Just let it drain off into a towel.

And I just used a TB cleaner made by valvoline. Worked great. And yeah I took it off and opened the plate and sprayed it all in there.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I did mine on the car, by just disconnecting the accordion piece. It was pretty dirty, and i couldn't completely get the back side of the plate clean, but I cleaned the "tube" of it well. The feeling of knowing that junk isn't there anymore is worth 2hp!

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that there is a coating in there you're not supposed to wash off?

I read this after I cleaned mine, but it was gross and needed it.

Ever done the Idle Air Control Valve? Just think if the throttle body was that dirty the IACV can't be any better.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
justin, any issue of hurting the o2 sensor with the cleaner? or did it say it was safe for o2 sensors?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, but what if u have a wideband in? couldnt their sensitivity be hurt?

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
o2 sensor is on the opposite side of the motor

i've cleaned all of mine, the TB, the IAC, and then used MAF cleaner on the MAF and the MAP...didn't necessarily notice any improvement but they were quite dirty...

the first time i clean my TB it was because it was sticking on me, now that i have no EGR i'm not too worried about it getting dirty again

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
carl, it doesnt matter where the o2 sensor is. the issue is that its still in the exhaust. so, where do you think all that cleaner is going? it goes thru the whole system. TB cleaners are usually more caustic than, say fuel injector cleaners, that are catalyst based, where u put them in ur tank. i worry about it b/c it all still goes thru the exh, past the sensor.

oneof my older cars, i did this....destroyed my wideband. which is why i worry.

·
Subcompact Fanatic
2,175 Posts
My focus is still quite young in miles, but I will do it sometime around now; while I am at that I will definately spray my MAF sensor since I am alreasy in that area.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
holy crap, do NOT spray it with TB cleaner!!! elec. parts cleaner or rubbing alcohol only.

·
Registered
150 Posts
how often should you clean intake filters??? i have the Steeda sri

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
the first time i clean my TB it was because it was sticking on me, now that i have no EGR i'm not too worried about it getting dirty again
Well you should be, the oil breather is responsible for the black stuff in the intake. The EGR on Duratecs at least, is completely internal to the head. I'm not sure about Zetecs though.

I'd suggest putting a lawn mower fuel filter in line with the oil breather tube- like Steeda's breather filter kit. That will reduce the amount of oil spray/oil smoke that makes it to the intake manifold. It will reduce emissions also.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
shold try using seafoam. my car was running a lil rough with a lil over 26000 on it so i seafoamed her and she funs like a raped ape.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts