Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This post isn't about a Focus. Isn't even about a Ford... It's about my dad's 2015 Silverado LTZ.

The biggest problem with the truck is the remote entry/key fob. It's absolutely covered in this brown gunk. I've attached a picture of it.

Any ideas on how to get this gross stuff off? It's sticky too...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hello all. This post isn't about a Focus. Isn't even about a Ford... It's about my dad's 2015 Silverado LTZ.

The biggest problem with the truck is the remote entry/key fob. It's absolutely covered in this brown gunk. I've attached a picture of it.

Any ideas on how to get this gross stuff off? It's sticky too...

Thanks in advance!
Alcohol 80% or higher. Will not damage the Key Fob.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
adamsbryce89,

The stuff on the rubber surface may be deteriorated rubber. Some people have acidic skin oil/sweat and it can affect the rubber (and leather, etc. surfaces).

I would try hot water (terry cloth - it has nap to scrub the surface). Water is a good solvent and it may lift a lot of the stuff off the fob. If it doesn't work then you have to move to a more powerful solvent.

You can try "Goof Off" or PrepSol (degreaser used by paint shops - not the alkaline/caustic stuff but the hydrocarbon solution) if the rubbing alcohol doesn't work. Goof Off is pretty good for taking adhesive off surfaces and it reminds me of lighter fluid (you may need to google that, lol).

When using anything other than water, I suggest using a Q-Tip and testing a small area to see if the crud comes off. Watch the buttons that have printing on them because the paint may dissolve, too.

HTH,

Chris

·
Registered
136 Posts
Try WD-40 first before any other harsher chems.
Spray the WD on a rag and hold it on the fob for a few mins them wipe it off.......may need to do it a few times.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just get a new one and right away pop it into a key fob case. That's what I would do and what I did. Everything I own has cases if I can find one for it. Some even protect the key fob buttons.

Me, I hate imperfections on my fobs from dropping the keys so I protect them lol.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just get a new one and right away pop it into a key fob case. That's what I would do and what I did. Everything I own has cases if I can find one for it. Some even protect the key fob buttons.

Me, I hate imperfections on my fobs from dropping the keys so I protect them lol.

Sent from my SM-N900P using FF Mobile
BmXStuD:

LOL! I had not idea a "fob-dom" was available. What will they think of next?

SoKalFocus: excellent suggestion about WD-40 - forgot about it but it would an excellent solvent and not aggressive to most surfaces.

OP: update, please. Enquiring minds want to know.

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So sorry for the delay in my reply. I actually moved to a different state before I had a chance to mess with the FOB. I wish I could update you guys but until I go back home, it's a lost cause for now. He bought the car through Enterprise, and they said it was a heavily used business lease vehicle. Who knows how that thing got so gross. I may suggest just buying a new FOB to my dad. One day, I'll be back to mess with it, and I'll let you know. Thank you all for your suggestions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts