Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all

I have a 2010 Ford Focus SES, recently my "powerpoints" quit working, I checked the fuses and according to the manual, they are in the engine compartment. That is a new one, normally the cigarette lighter plugs fuses are under the dash in all other cars that I have owned. The fuses in the engine compartment appeared "good". Both of the "Powerpoint" are not working. I again read the owners manual hoping to find it listed under the dash but didn't see it. I don't smoke so they have never been used as a "cigarette lighter".

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You need a multimeter, or at least a test light to check anything electrical.

Without tools, electrical work is like looking at a pipe to guess if anything is flowing in it, or if it's under pressure. Neither is possible.

You don't need anything expensive for occasional basic tests, they're cheap enough currently that Harbor Freight even gives them away with a coupon regularly.

You'd want to test for power on either side of the fuse, test for power at the "power point", and check for ground there as well. Results would give an idea where to look next for the trouble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ALL cars built after 2000 have a 'thermal fuse' located on the backside of the lighter-socket (power point socket). This is 'in addition to' the 'circuit fuse' (approx 20 Amp). This was done to prevent circuit wire fires when using high-amperage devices powered in the lighter-sockets. BMW, VW, Subaru, and Ford and ALL makers now use thermal fuses (often these look like a 1/2" long strand of black-insulated solder wire, that "melts" when hot. It can be replaced by a cheap 0.50-cent thermal fuse from radio shack, say about 260-F or there abouts. There is a GREAT YouTube video ... try "youtube cigarette lighter fuse repair" - you just (carefully) pull the faceplate covers, remove the L-socket, gently pry the "crimps" (2 at each end) and then bend the wire leads for the new thermal leads to fit (take care to insure there will be no contacts when replaced in the housing & instrument cluster, then recrimp and reassemble. GIVE YOURSELF TIME ... a knife edge and needle nose pliers will do!

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
If people would just look up the value of the fuse and then never overload it then that problem would simply disappear, but no way will they even think about that. Like putting ten electric devices on a one plug outlet at home, or brain dead there. I went through that issue with 10 people a week when back at the auto store, they seem to think you can power 100 amp devices off those outlets, hilarious.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I don't have to worry about the cigarette lighter issues with my Focus, she got totalled out last Thursday. Apparently a lady driving a Yukon decided to make a left turn in front of me. Now I am looking for my 3rd Focus.
I appreciate all the people that responded to my initial inquiry.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sorry to hear that, to bad your sig. couldn't work fast enough to remove that obstruction.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Well.................bummer............

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trust me, If I could have I would have...I really liked that car. I have had 2 Focuses in the last 5 years....I had a 2005 ST and a 2010 SES. Both stellar cars and both got totaled and I walked away from it....I have no complaints. Now I have to shop around....again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I have a 2005 Ford Focus. My cigarette lighter/ power outlet went out suddenly yesterday. Thinking it was just a blown fuse, I bought a replacement fuse. After replacing the fuse, the outlet is still not working. I tried different car chargers and replaced the outlet with a spare I hand on hand; all to no avail. Now I'm thinking the problem is the connector wire. I want to find out (a) if I'm on the right track and (b) how easy/hard it is to replace the wire. Thanks in advance!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts