Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cigarette lighter has not worked in my 53 plate focus since i bought it 8 months ago, im now travelling more and using a sat nav more, hence the reason for wanting the cigarette lighter to work again.

Has anyone got any ideas what have caused it to break??

Thank you

·
Registered
297 Posts
funny you mention this, mine isn't working either in my 03 SVTF and I did check the fuse.

Fortunatley there is another port on the side of the console that does work, but none the less would be nice not to have to stretch my phone cord so much...[:eek:]

does anyone know if the two power points are on the same circut ?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't know about "same circuit", DO know that if you use the cigarette lighter for it's original purpose it tends to get covered in "crud" internally, making it nigh unto impossible for a power cord for anything else to work....

SO, if it WAS used as a cigarette lighter, clean it out & it should work...

(testing for power at the center contact would be the FIRST step)

·
So mote be it
8,958 Posts
I know mine doesnt work but i know exactly why. I switched face plates and the cig lighter hookup wasnt plug and play. I dont ever use it so I've put off wiring it up. So after you check the fuses, you can pop off the bezel and see if its connected still.

Aslo going with what sailor said, an eraser on the back of pencils is good at cleaning contacts. Although do not use the eraser technique on contacts that are plated or anything really important, as the eraser can be abrasive and possibly leave behind a glue residue (or so science type people might warn.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mines not working either in 03 SE, i checked the fuses and there wasnt a fuse in the slot, i bought some but they fit loosely and hence did nothing, does anybody know what to do?

·
Registered
47 Posts
mine was not working and i changed the fuse and it works fine, other than that it might not be hooked up behind it or bad wires. but to replace it is no big deal just go to a junk yard or buy new not very expensive.

·
Registered
17,433 Posts
At the parts store it was very obvious that many plug in stuff in those receptacles that constantly overload to blow fuses. Many many people did it and complaining all the time about why they can't plug a nuclear reactor in there.............to run the car on banana peels like Marty McFly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On the 2002 SVTF that I bought, Someone used the Cigarette Lighter power for their radio. You might look to see if it is still connected.

If you remove the radio (Easily done with a couple of removal tools) you can see the Cigarette lighter right next to it and check it for power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts