Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Focus SVT and have been trying to figure out if there is a way to convert my 12V/cig. lighters into Ignition On adapters instead of being constant on (so they can turn off when the key is taken out of the car).

Has anybody done this? I've done a ton of searching and haven't been able to come up with anything!

Thanks in advance...

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
I haven't done it, but I know how to.

You'd need a relay. Turn the relay on via the accessory wire, and then wire the outlet to the relay.

I'll draw up a diagram in a minute

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts

Not the best wire diagram ever drawn, but its easily understood.
Generic relay wiring. The accesory wire turns the relay on, the relay draws power from directly from the car battery, and you have safe power only while the car is on.
I didn't draw any fuses in, but it would be a good idea to fuse the connection from the battery.

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
Those are valid options, but wouldn't suggest it if you intend on pulling a lot of power.
The radio accessory wire only turns the radio on, it draws power from a separate wire.
The radio actually has a relay in it similar to my crude drawing.

The middle ground would be tapping into an unused circuit.
Not quite like the "add a circuit" because you wouldn't be adding a higher load to a circuit already in use.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/FUSE_TAP_ATC_SPADE_LARGE_p_2095.html

Lets say you don't have power windows, the fuse box still has a powered opening as if you did. Stick one of those in and draw power from that. Power windows only work when the car is on and it'll be the same for the circuit you plug in there.

That's actually probably cheaper and easier too...

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
Why wire it so it only comes on when the car is on?

Some people leave things like phone chargers or radar detectors plugged into their power outlet. If the power outlet goes off when the car is turned off, then the battery is not drained.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts