Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I went the route of buying a cheap E-bay CIA (the mock AEM ones) Anyway I followed the instructions for the AEM CIA on this website exactly. The car would run fine and then all of a sudden lose alot of power and be really touchy. This happened most often when first starting off in 1st or after driving in 3rd gear around 2 1/2K RPMS and then trying to speed up. It wasn't all the time, just sometimes. Can anyone explain this? I checked all the connections and everything seems fine? I took it off and reinstalled it three times to make sure. This thing is pretty much the exact same thing as the AEM... I know the quality of the AEM is better but if this one is doing this I don't think it's worth buying the AEM????

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
reinstalled the original air box... after about 9 and a half miles everything seems to be running fine... other than being a little rich... I just dont understand... anyone????

·
Registered
150 Posts
Unplug your battery and let the car sit for an hour like that, then plug it back in and go for a spin.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Definantly clean your maf, and also, check things around your intake, you might have bumped something out of place. Before i was F/I i ran a CAI, and when i installed it i bumped the connector going into the coil pack. At about 5k rpms in second it shook a bit, and bucked so damn hard i almost broke a tooth.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well when I looked at the MAf it didn't look ridiculously dirty but hey whatever so i cleaned it with soap and water solution and q-tips. Made sure everything ws completely dry then reinstalled my CAI. The check engine light came on but everything worked excellant. I drove it to work (about 4miles) without any problem. Came out of work after 8 hours and it started but if i touched the gas the car freaked out then died. It took me about 3 or 4 mins to get the car to start again and every since it's been riding shitty. It takes about 7-8 seconds to get the car to 2000 rpms which makes starting off insanely hard. What the hell is going on?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the original? if that's what you ment then no it wasn't this morning... also.. now its just affecting the lower end (majorly mind you) and i just pushed the living shit out of it (works well when you get it going) and then it was fine? However I got out of the car and there is a distinct burning smell... temperature gauge was not hot and nothing was melted? intake was hot... couldn't locate where the smell was coming from but definatley somewhere in the engine bay???? PLEASE HELP?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The burning was probably your clutch from having to drive the car so akward to get it to move, if you have a manual that is.

Does the car run fine with the stock intake?

Did you mess with any settings on the TB?

Have you run trouble codes? They are free at autozone or whatever...and if you have a CEL on...go do it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea the stock intake was struggling also... but not as much. The clutch Idea makes sense and I think i will take it to autozone. Havn't touched the TB other than to clean it??? This only happens sometimes too... i dont know whats going on

·
Registered
384 Posts
Clean the mas properly, Make sure you have it in the intake point in the right firection. Make sure you have no air leaks! vacume leaks at or after the mas sensor will casue an issue.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used a q-tip and water/soap... any other way to clean it??? I know it's in the right direction and there's definatley no leaks???? this thing is blowing my mind

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok well I couldn't see it but there must have been an ever so slight gap between the intake and the MAF... bought some silicone (yes i made sure it was sensor safe) And siliconed the shit out of it... works fantastic now... Thank you so much to everybodys help... really appreciate it guys... thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts