Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today and drove 2 or 3 different places today and the car was great. After the last stop the car decided that was enough, it has been a week or so with no symptoms, so I'll screw with my owner. All of a sudden the car started to sputter and choke. The car then stalled and did so till I got home. Last night I was detailing the engine bay, and sprayed some Armourall over the engine, Could this have caused the problem? Could there be some seapage into connectors? Also the CHECK ENGINE light did come on. Any thoughts comments?

·
Registered
2 Posts
about the sputtering

i have found that it is not an uncommon thing to have a small leak in the cover gasket/ or plate for the injectors... when you sprayed the engine degreaser etc... whatever u used... some probably got sucked in and ur best bet is just to run the car a little, put some fuel injector cleaner in there and u can find some of that super oil gunk (only use if u keep up on ur oil changes)... ((I used engine degreaser so i had to use that gunk because the pistons were not properly being greased after some got sucked in.)) I did this some time ago and i put another thread of sealant on the coverplate and it worked itself out after about a half hr of toying with it... easy fix...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the cover gasket the black plastic cover that is marked with SVT. This covers the sparkplugs correct?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
find out what your check engine code is first. That should point you in a good direction. You could have got your wires wet. Your coil pack, wires etc...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone else?

·
Registered
12 Posts
most of the time a check eng. light is related to emissions. like air intake, o2 sensor., etc. check your air filter housing for any air leaks or fluid inside box. cold air intakes are prone to leaking and causing the tps throttle position sensor to fail, becoming gumed up and not working properly. Had the same problem with my 2002 svt focus. hope this helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
mm, well the main 3 things to look at when something goes wrong with your engine are compression, air intake, and fuel coming into the engine, if you had to guess, which would you say it is? what kind of sputtering noise is it making? is it coming from the exhaust? or from the engine?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mm, well the main 3 things to look at when something goes wrong with your engine are compression, air intake, and fuel coming into the engine, if you had to guess, which would you say it is? what kind of sputtering noise is it making? is it coming from the exhaust? or from the engine?
The exhaust is SPUTTERING worse than the engine. I can tell that the engine is missing choking, end the exhaust is doing same. Tried to connect the OSD reader, but for some reason the unit wouldn't recognize the car. I fished around while the car was running for loose hoses etc, but nothing.

Man Im so lost....it came up so quick could it be gas?

·
Registered
347 Posts
with the engine running at idol, pop the hood and get a hold of some kind of break cleaner in a spray can, let the motor warm up and start spraying everything, if there's any kind of vacuum leak, the motor will sputter and choke on what your spraying, allowing you to pin point where your issue is coming from. thats where id start. also take a spray bottle with water in it and spray the plug wires at the coil pack to see if theres any arcing between anything, that could cause a missfire code

·
Registered
163 Posts
i dont think 04 svts came with coilpacks.. but yea, it could be you have a bad sparkplug and a piston isnt firing, id take them out and inspect them

·
Registered
347 Posts
just throwing out ideas. things i do at my dealer to diagnose things. not to sure what is on an 04, i have an 02.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for the info......I had to take her into the stealership, as my OBD reader wouldn't sync up to the car, I hope thats not an indication there's something wrong with that too.......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They tell me that it is a Variable Selanoid on the front of the engine.....Covered under warranty. They also suggested that the timing belt be done as well while they are in there. Apparentyly the front of the engine has to be taken off so they figured do it at the same time. The car has 67,000kms (41000miles) do you think that should be changed now or wait on the timing belt? They want $400.00 to do the belt including labour.....is that a normal amount....???

·
Registered
347 Posts
its a pretty normal amount comparing to what my service writer quotes people on timing belts. but yea, its a variable timing sensor, it is what controls the timing on your motor. it explains all your symptoms and once replaced you should be good to go. umm. IMO, there trying to get you to bite on the timing belt so they can make some money, if you can, look behind your belt cover and look for yourself at the condition of the belt. if it looks good, and you don't see any visible problems like stretch marks, or anything that could lead to a KABOOM of your engine, im sure you'll be fine till around 60,000 miles. also, if you do look at it, check the condition of the belt teeth, the pars that grab your pulley. if those look all chopped up and in rough shape, maybe you should bite the bullet and get the belt done while your at it, but if they look to be in good to OK condition, you shouldn't have a problem. my SVT has 51,000 miles on the timing belt and she still runs strong. ill change mine around 65,000-70,000 miles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the reply....is the sensor they are talking about the Variable Cam Timing Valve electrical connector? or another sensor father in the engine? Is this the sensor that sits atop of the cover right beside the spark plugs?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the reply....is the sensor they are talking about the Variable Cam Timing Valve electrical connector? or another sensor father in the engine? Is this the sensor that sits atop of the cover right beside the spark plugs?
yea, its the actual sensor itself that is causing your problems. i asked the ford tech at my work about it and he said its behind the timing belt, probably in between your cams at the top of the head.

·
Registered
347 Posts
yea, its the actual sensor itself that is causing your problems. i asked the ford tech at my work about it and he said its behind the timing belt, probably in between your cams at the top of the head.
im quoting my own post because the sensor, if you haven't already gotten it taken care of, is sammiched between the cam gears on the top of your head. it is behind both of them, so thats why they told you at the dealer that there gonna need to take the belt off. both cam gears send signals to the sensor, allowing it to be "variable" to allow for proper timing of the motor at all RPM ranges. just for your information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts