Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my girlfriend has a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and is in love with purple headlight bulbs (12000k correct?) since she saw them on a car the other day. My question is can anyone recommend a good set of these bulbs? I have seen a few sets that are really bright around town. The thing is that I want to find a set that has good light output since I want her to be safe would prefer it to be at least stock output. Can anyone help me out here? I have considered HID's but they are not made for halogen housings which means the throw sucks and blinds other people plus I don't want to rewire her headlights and if I did I would go to the junkyard and clip the harnesses off a wreck since I really don't want to mess with her stockers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes I've driven toward people that have done it and it sucks it blinds the heck out of you, so I kindly flick the high beams on my new Mach HID's right back in their face.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
haha nice, i love my HID's though (i have projectors) they are way better than stock hologens

nokya has a purple looking bulb that is halogen so it will work good in your girlfriends stock headlight housings...i use to have them. They look like HID's and they perform better than the stockers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are they the Nokya arctic purple's? I saw them but I figured I would ask since I was sure someone on here had experience trying these out. Its always better to learn from experience. Did you have the arctic purple or just the bulb in general?

·
Registered
537 Posts
note that most of the nokya's you'll find are a higher wattage than your stock. most nokya 9007's are 100w/120w or 90w/100w.

she might also bitch about not being able to see the road. if this sounds like something that might happen, i would recommend the piaa super plasma gt-x bulbs. they kinda have a purple hue to them and she'll still be able to see... they do cost about 40 bucks more though, and they're street legal. the nokya's are not.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's illegal to project a blue light from your vehicle, fyi. When I see people with blue (or purple) headlights shining in my eyes and I'm in my truck, it's all I can do to not drive up over their hood, down the back, get out, and smash their face in with my maglite. FYI. But goodluck, and be glad I'm not in Michigan.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
IMHO.....It's often difficult to explain practical issues concerning cars to a woman. The choice between something nice-looking, and practical.....difficult or impossible to get right if they have no experience in this area other than a few years of driving.

The fact that some bulbs look nice, but don't light the road well enough.....might be beyond explanation. Just try to talk her out of a waste of >$40, and a bunch of your time.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
yes, i had those nokya artic purple bulbs...and yes, they lit up the road better than the stock halogens...

i DO reccomend these over HID's of the similar color temperature due to the fact that you can buy them off the internet for about 20 bucks shipped.

however, as mentioned in this thread, you will have to upgrade the wiring...the official nokya website sells adapters with upgraded wiring...you will have to buy that if you decide to go this route

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea I was leaning toward trying to talk her out of it I just wanted to know if anyone had a good set that actually had some good light output first. Personally I would stay in the 5000k crystal white range where light output is at its best. She used to have a cheap set of purple headlight bulbs that someone put in her car, but I drove her car and couldn't see a thing. I took the bulbs out and put her stock ones back in and told her I didn't want her to be unsafe. Thanks for the input though guys I will just tell her its the international sign your a lesbian when you drive with purple headlights[giggle] that should make her change her mind.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just last momth got a set of those for my ZX3 - great improvement over the stock, and no purple or blue - just pure white that lights up the road without blinding anyone. Got them from SUVlights, too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just last momth got a set of those for my ZX3 - great improvement over the stock, and no purple or blue - just pure white that lights up the road without blinding anyone. Got them from SUVlights, too.
I'm tempted. Is installation easy? Just swap out the stock bulbs?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yep, no problem at all, other than trying to twist out the bulbs - really hard to get leverage for that on the '07 - maybe easier on the '01s

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
just remember that light output tends to have a negative correlation with longevity... the bright/ hot bulbs last drasticly shorter than standard bulbs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts