Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no car expert (only 17) but I need suggestions on what tires to get since one just went flat and 2 others need to be replaced anyways. So I got a quote and i'm between two brands (the pricing is actually 3 cents off so money is not a factor here). One of my choices is Kumho solus KR while the other is cooper GLS 88. I'm leaning towards the latter but i'm open for suggestions.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Get whatever one has the coolest tread pattern. lol

Really that is probably the only major thing that I can tell you to go by. I don't know much about either type of tire. I can tell you that my parents car came with some type of Kumho tire when it was new and they whore out pretty quickly so maybe the coopers are a better choice.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First, I Like Coopers 'cause they are a U.S. company, have had good experience with them in the past, and I can remember when they supported rally racing when no-one else had an interest (MANY years ago).

Secondly, the best advice I can give is to check out the options on the Tire Rack site, since they have test results & buyer feedback you can look up easily - quite informative if you remember to take the customer comments in context of what car the person drives, and what THEIR objectives were. Someone with a similar car, looking for the same type of performance you are interested in, will be the best feedback as to actual real world experience....

I used the site a LOT B4 my last purchase, and am VERY happy with what I bought.

Remember, there is NO "best" tire, just the one that fits YOUR needs best....

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've had good luck with the General Atimax series. I like how they handle in the wet and I seem to get good mileage.

P.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Ford Focus Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls. For most everything else we have specialized forums- like Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension which is sponsored by The Tire Rack. Thanks for posting! No harm done here, I'll just move the thread to the appropriate forum. People who are new to the site don't always realize how diverse our forum list is.

Moved to Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Can you give us a little more info.
The Kumho solus KR____ (which one) is it the KR16, KR21 or KR22
What size are you looking to get.
because your young and probably dont have a wad of cash to through at tires every year, I would go for the one thats going to last the longest. Look at the UTQG rating to see which is better. it looks like the tires you listed are from a 400 AA A to a 540 A B.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh sorry for putting this thread in the wrong section [?|]

And i did get the cooper tires and so far I'm very satisfied. What I am really hoping to see is an improvement in my MPG.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As you can see, the tires are still pretty new but this is what happened today. I was exiting the school to take a left turn and hit the accelerator (after a complete stop) and my tires were spinning out. It took much longer to complete the turn, but anyways this has got me concerned. Before in the month when it snowed, I lost control of the car for a split second on a turn after a complete stop. I don't understand why this is happening with relatively new tires.

·
Registered
190 Posts
As you can see, the tires are still pretty new but this is what happened today. I was exiting the school to take a left turn and hit the accelerator (after a complete stop) and my tires were spinning out. It took much longer to complete the turn, but anyways this has got me concerned. Before in the month when it snowed, I lost control of the car for a split second on a turn after a complete stop. I don't understand why this is happening with relatively new tires.
New tires have a period where they need to be worn in. When tires come out of the mold the oils used in the production are very close to the surface. Those oils will stay on the tire for the first few hundred miles and reduce your initial grip. They will wear out after that "break in" period. That might be what you're experiencing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but the Cooper Lifeliner GLS isn't a very good tire for wet traction. Cooper's website even gives it a (visual) 4/10. http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passenger/LIFELINER-GLS-(T-Rated).aspx

I personally would have gone with a different tire, but as long as you take it easy, you should be ok with these.

A Falken 912 (65k), Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring (80k), or the Yokohama Avid TRZ (80k) would have been much better choices at entry level pricing, with the Uniroyal being my preference. $88-$90 per tire, going by the retail price at my shop. I'm not sure how much you paid for your tires though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts