Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you try to drive the car faster to move up the shift points let's say for example at 25 or 35 MPH does it still do it?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car only has a single belt, so I'm not sure if the car would even be able to start without it on, or if it'd be safe to leave it running if it did because the water pump wouldn't be turning. I feel like I know that it's not the belt because putting my ear directly over it and all the pulleys, the sound still seems to be coming from within the engine. I know I should still check my pulleys though, how would you do that if removing the belt isn't an option?
Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you try to drive the car faster to move up the shift points let's say for example at 25 or 35 MPH does it still do it?

No only the first change occasionally the 2nd but most of the time when it hits between 15-20

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It’s not that the s
You could have a noise for 300,000 miles and nothing's going to break. Actually the majority of minor noises never equal a breakdown.
I've been working on cars for a long time went to school for it.
The problem you have is very hard to replicate especially when you can only do it when driving at a slow speed between shift points. That is very hard to diagnose.
AMC knows his stuff about cars I would listen. People that know their stuff sometimes come off a little harsh..

We don't hold your hand on car forums people are going to come off rude. Realize we are spending our time and our lives trying to help you.

I guarantee you the majority of cars going down the road every day make some type of odd noise. Turn the radio up and stop being so darn OCD. Good luck.

It’s not that the sound really bothers me it’s just I want to make sure it’s nothing that’s going to break or nothing that needs to be fixed, if it’s just the way the car sounds I’m fine, I just want to make sure it’s nothing that has gone bad and needs to be replaced, if it’s just a common sound I don’t care.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And honestly my aunt bought me the car and I’m making payments to her and I’m extra paranoid because if something happens she will give me hell, since she was iffy about going with this car, that and I’m planning a really long trip coming up soon and I want to make sure my car is safe to make the trip without any break downs or issues since it’ll be out of state and no family is going with me

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
And honestly my aunt bought me the car and I’m making payments to her and I’m extra paranoid because if something happens she will give me hell, since she was iffy about going with this car, that and I’m planning a really long trip coming up soon and I want to make sure my car is safe to make the trip without any break downs or issues since it’ll be out of state and no family is going with me
And the last car I drove had something break like every week so i just don’t want to go through that again and it worry’s me so that’s another reason I’m extra paranoid

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As long as I know there ain’t nothing wrong and it’s just a normal sound I can live with it cz half the time with my radio I don’t hear it, like it said it’s not the sound that bothers me it’s the potential cause that does

·
Registered
2 Posts
does it get worse under heavier acceleration (higher RPM shift point)? if so it is probably the alternator rotor slowing down to match the engine rpm after the shift. Some of the focus models have a decoupling pulley that prevents this (I thought only manual transmission, but maybe others)...

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
X2, could be that. Those clutch pulleys are fits for making noise. Or could be heat shield simply vibrating at the shift or other loose part.

Out of all the uncounted engines I have ever listened to, I have never heard a chirp (as we would define that word in meaning) come from inner engine or trans. If not belt then the engine/trans shifting in load during gearchange is moving something to make noise. Look at the back lower trans mount.

Here's the odd one. Nissans can make a sharp chirp or bearing squeal extremely short in duration when the front axle nut gets barely loose because preload has backed off them. That shows at putting car in gear or say just moving off a stoplight. The axle twists in spline looseness to squeak on the hard bearing outer race. Simply retorquing the axle stops it. Never heard of a Ford doing that, the axles back off some but not that much. Anything is possible though.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts