Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 January 20th it is not under a warranty well I have noticed a chirp when my transmission changes. It changes when it’s supposed to, not rough etc but it does make the chirp the car drives perfect other then that. It has 85,365 miles. I absolutely love my car but I just want to know what this is and if it’s something I should worry about. If my radio is on I rarely hear it mainly when the radio is between songs and the transmission changes other then that I don’t hear it it’s faint not loud at all. Any ideas what it could be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh that’s so expensive especially since I just bout this car and I also have to replace brakes and rotors

·
Registered
15,584 Posts
People don't get it............go out and ask the car if it cares. You commit to a certain level and accept the losses that come with that level. The losses at the 'need to' level are always lower than those at the 'have to' level.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You could just do a belt for now. My brother also has a 2005 270,000 miles let's say never had the tensioner changed.
We all have different opinions.
Your belt is probably worn out from age.

I personally prefer motorcraft belts.
I would also suggest not to concern yourself with every sound a 15 year old car makes its going to make some.
Stay on top of maintenance take care of it, but don't worry about every sound.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,584 Posts
'My brother also has a 2005 270,000 miles let's say never had the tensioner changed.'

I for one would love to cut that tensioner apart to look at it and how it's constructed inside. I know on the zetecs the tensioners were dead at 50-60K average and taking them apart had all the nylon anti-friction load surface insert torn to shreds or gone and the tensioner arm would be up to a 1/4" out of belt flat plane trying to derail the belt. I had one new one fail around 25K. And those were Motorcraft best of the best. I learned to steer clear of them as other cheaper brands like Gates went longer by far. I even rebuilt them for a while until they got cheaper, the Dayco one being one that lent itself by design to a clean rebuild that renewed it completely and I got more life out of the rebuilds than I did the new one out of the box. New Dayco roughly 20K and dead, rebuilt it goes to 100 or so.

I DID discover that if you drop the tension WAY down to not seem to be tight enough to stop slipping the tensioner then goes double or triple the distance, I have one on one car now that is so loose I can install it and remove it by hand with no tools at all yet the belt stays on and runs fine. Wonky stuff. Same belt and tensioner on that car for so long I cannot remember when it got changed, certainly many years ago. Gates brand on that one, but it is weatherproof modded like Gates never ever did and supplied with a dry lube graphite load as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I believe his car is possessed. We bought it with a salvage title it had 123,000 miles on it in 2012. It has been incredibly reliable.
Starter and a alternator that is it. Never left him on the side of the road. Never even touched the suspension components except the front sway bar links.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,584 Posts
Some can do that.

A friend and I co-owned a '63 Olds F-85 with the rare aluminum small V-8 with 3 speed MTX back in the day. First gear was tore up in trans but it took off so well in second we drove it like that for 3 years or so and sold the car for more than we paid for it at the end, We never put one part on it at all. I thought that was pretty unusual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts