Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies car wont start, he said one day it was fine and the next he was feeling major power loss with a loping idle and then it up and stopped running the next day. I checked the cel that came up and it was ignition problems, we had his distributor checked out and it came out fine. I checked all the spark plugs for gap and wear, they are all good, wires are all new(er).

I was looking at his timing belt and it looks fine for the most part, no strange wear or missing teeth but it did have a little more play in it than normal. Nothing rediculous but enough for me to see if it jumped time. How do i go about checking that? I dont see any markings on his gears or anything to go by.

Also if you have any other suggestions on what the problem could be im all ears. Im gonna check some of the fuel stuff just to be sure but since the cel light said ignition i dont know if im going to find anything there.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
there are slots in the ends of the cams (opposite end of the gears) you have to line up w/ TDC i beleive, only the aftermarket underdrive pullies have a mark for TDC that i know of

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok i figured there had to be a mark somewhere.

oh and also im going to check his cat tomorrow just for the hell of it, my buddy had a problem with a loping idle and it ended up being his cat was completely blocked up, so if thats fine theres another thing to check of the list.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
That happened to me my cat broke in 2 and shoved down the pipe. One day it just got slow and my intake was louder than I ever remeber it being and lets not forget the loss of power. The only wasy I knew it was my cat was the loack of power I decided to install my shorty header I had bought and thats when I took the cat off to discover in my dissmay that it had broken. The cure you ask well I hollowed it out and put the shorty on. I swear it felt like I added 50hp and even more TQ. I don't remeber having a lopey idel though. Hope that helps alittle its a pain to take the cat off just to look in it to see if its broken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts