Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has checked a new chipped key will work Before getting it cut ?
It’s possible to use a already cut Non-chipped key & the chipped key in tandem to pass the PATS verification, as video is proof of this.

I’m curious if anyone has done this before, or will I be the first to report on it here ?

Second,
can you re-program a once programmed chip key to a different PATS system ?
———
[ 2005, SE wagon, 2.0L, auto-trans, US stock model ]

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Yes, old keys can be re-programmed. If the key is old enough the chip comes right out of it easily. You can have the chip close enough and use a non-chip key to start the car.

Both mine are like that, I use standard old school no chip keys in both. Old beater cars and kept locked, who would mess with them?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
With my particular focus, I have to touch key metal on key metal to activate the chip.

But I haven’t opened up the column to get close access to the PATS coil yet ether.

Have anyone heard of checking/programming chip keys before cutting with said technique ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven’t done a new uncut key yet.
But have successfully attached a $2 cut key to old used chipped key head with a metal screw.
& got it to code properly as replacement 2’nd key.
-
Guess the next thing I’ll be trying is to see if one can code a uncut new key.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
This method does work. But the key must have the correct chip in it.
I’ve bought some old keys from a bone yard (dirt cheap) & had them recut to fit the lock.
Then just program them to the car, works great!
-
The recutting of keys is an old trick to save money I learned from an older gentleman that used to own a bone-yard. But also had one of those key dupe cutters. He figured out more folk would pay for a cheap recut key. For the most part, he was right. He sure knew how to squeeze every honest dollar out of all the vehicles on his small lot. lol.
Both the yard & him are gone now, he was a hoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts