Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My situation is documented in the thread "fast advice seriously needed". I just got my car back and the tech told me what was wrong with the intake manifold.

The mechanism that switches the intake runners from short to long or opposite, had broken,and my manifold was stuck on the long runners all the time!!!

Evidently, there is a cheap plastic connector that connects the solenoid (or whatever) to the actuator on the manifold. It breaks easily I guess.

The tech noticed that on the new manifold, the mechanism was metal. So Ford has beefed up that part.

There could be a lot of people driving around with busted manifolds...You all might want to look at yours. I think it is something you can see with a visual inspection.

Just a friendly FYI.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Something busted on my intake mainfold when i last brought mine in but its fixed now

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My check engine light just came back on Im bringing it in again soon it better not be the intake mainfold again or ill be pist

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah i got a new intake manifold to the same thing happened to me dam alot of things have happened to me with my car u guys think i should trade it in?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Will the check engine light come on if the mechanism is busted on the manifold?
When I turn off the engine I hear something happen under the hood. Is this the intake manifold mechanism switching to short runner?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i couldnt tell when i was driving my car and im pretty in tune with it but when i got it replaced i remembered hay thats where all my power went cuz u could tell if your constantly on it like me but if ur not u wont be able to tell but yeah ide go get it looked at and no your ce light doesnt go on when it brakes

·
Registered
9 Posts
bad manifold

when i purchased my svt, it had a ratty sound like something you would hear from a rotary engine. I loved it. anyway, 4 months later, i had a check engine light come on, and a loud sound coming from something under the left side under the fender.

i took into the the dealer and they gaved me a free rent a car. 3 days later, i got my car back and was running fine.

well the problem ended up being the intake manifold. It was bad.

now im thinking of replacing it with an aluminum jackson supercharger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
svt's 2 many problems

as much as I love my car and invested money into, is it really worth all the trouble we all have with them. I think my car might have the problem how would I locate the piece you are talking about. Please let me know as every week there is something else wrong my little svt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
after i got the car back from the dealer, it hasnt given me any problems at all. my model is a 2002. the tek guys couldnt figure out why it busted on my. They said it's bullet proof-meaning that its almost impossible to screw it up. I think your fine and dont worry

the sound i am reffering to comes from a small box at the bottom left fendernext to the horns. it was making a funny sound, loud hissing and whistling noise. According to ford tek guys, the intake manifold was causing this box to make a funny sound. it was so loud. the way i did it to take my car to the dealer was unplug the power connection from this box located right above it and that shut it off and the sound was gone.

anyway, the car is fantastic and dont have any regrets buying it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUESTION....

Hey guys, Is this just on svt's ??? or can it affect the zx3-5 and sedan with the zetec ??
I noticed on my throttlebody that it has 2 chambers one is the round one and then there is a trapizoid shaped hole that goes into the intake manifold what is this ???

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I doubt it happened on your non-SVT my tech said it was the first case hes heard of this happening on a Focus (guess just cause its SVT)

As much as I say my car has trouble I love it and wouldn't trade it in the CD player messed up once (i hit a bump to hard another time and it knocked the cd player of track but ford gave me a new one =) the mainfold messed up once and the cigarette lighter went out once none of these were to bad of problems the only thing that makes me mad is that i have had to take the car is 4 times cause of the oxygen sensor setting off the check engine light this has been my only real hassle (I have taken the car is 4 times 1. Check engine light 2. Check Engine light and CD 3. Check engine CD player (which i accidently broke) cigarette lighter and intake mainfold (they found this when i brought it in)4. check engine light (just yesterday)

I still think the car will keep running smoothly as long the stupid check engine light doesn't keep coming on

·
Registered
560 Posts
Can someone PLEASE post a PIC cause i want to know whether i have a broken cheap plastic connector that connects the solenoid thingy! please POST PIC! cause i seem to be on a loss of power, and i hear that other's on this fourm can hear their Dual Stage Intake switch at approx 5k-6k rpm! but i can't hear a single thing at all and i listen VERY carefullly too! [:(] so can someone PLEASE POST A PIC! thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gotta Comment Racer X

They never give you what YOU think your car is worth. If you let them rip you off, then dont complain, stop getting ripped off.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Im almost positive if the mainfold warps it sets off the check engine light I could be incorrect and it could just be the fact that my check engine light comes on every single friggin weak

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the little manifold problem about this time last year and the dealership told me I done it installing my CAI. So you can guess what came after that a nice bill of over $500. Did anyone else get charged for the fix? If not, what are the chances I can get my money back?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
They said its under Warranty im gonna post a new thread get your Exhaust Manafold checked mine is screwed now and there just now coming out with a new design so it may be a few weeks before I get it fixed

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
""Can someone PLEASE post a PIC cause i want to know whether i have a broken cheap plastic connector that connects the solenoid thingy! please POST PIC!""

Sorry I can't help you out with pictures. I didn't take any, and I don't even know where to tell you to look...But hey, it's just an intake manifold, give it a real close inspection. Take off the air box, and get a good look at it.

I had put on a FocusSport cold air kit, and the dealership didn't give me a hard time about blaming me for breaking the manifold. The dude that got charged $500 should get his money back pronto.

I would also like to add that even with the transmission probs I've had, and all the probs I read about on this forum, I wouldn't trade my SVT for anything. I LOVE THIS FRIGGIN CAR!!!
IT'S AN AMERICAN (MEXICAN)-- MADE POCKET ROCKET THAT KICKS ASS!! IT GOES FAST, HANDLES GREAT, AND STOPS HARD. For less than $20000. I think when I have worn out the 2 litre four banger, I am gonna drop a 5 liter cammer crate motor in there and make it all-wheel drive whilst I'm at it!!!

I smoked two punks in a CRX so bad last nite that I almost had to pull over and apologize to them. I guess if the SVT lacks anything...its STREET CREDENTIALS. These guys in Hondas don't know what they're in for when they want to race me. So I'll just continue to educate them..one quarter mile at a time...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts