Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

the place that posted the video is a dealership in montreal........but we don't have these features on the canadian focus...maybe the france focus?

automatic braking
self-aiming/auto brights headlights
auto-collapsing side mirrors
watching lane dividers to adjust back into the lane
alerts that tell you when you start falling asleep (fatigue detection)
blind spot detection

i wish we did have them, though!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
All these features are making for worse drivers. Why the hell is everybody so lazy that they can't even step on the brake pedal or paying attention so poorly they can't avoid lane dividers.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at the same time...it makes the roads safer...against those that suck at driving.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'd love to have adaptive cruise on my car for sure.

But yeah, that Montreal dealer is going to have a lot of false claim issues, the Canadian spec Focus is basically the same as the US spec one. We don't get all the fancy Euro features either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wish I could have the automatic braking...it would make my drive into work much safer while i'm texting and driving in traffic.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I was actually reading about a few of those features, must be the euro focus?

The automatic breaking only works at speeds under 15km/h. It's not meant to slow the vehicle down for you. It suddenly and violently stops the car, it's not something comfortable and not something you should rely on.

And the highway awareness thing is pretty cool, it comes on a after 75km/h I think. It scans the dividing lines and if you start to drift towards them the steering wheel vibrates to alert you and I think it can make minor adjustments on it's own.

I noticed in the video they also get to select their ambient light colors on the MFT screen itself, instead of a little knob in the headliner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
These are the descriptions from the German Ford site. No I didn't translate it. The German I learned in the service would allow me to order a Beer and ofcourse get slapped.

Lane Assistant

On a front camera, the lane Wizard detects the lanes and warns the driver through short steering wheel vibrations before an unintentional lane change (without clicking the indicator). In addition, the lane holding Wizard supports the change back in the right track through a steering support, that can be revoked by an active countermeasures of the driver if necessary.

Fatigue-Warner

On a front camera, the driving style and thus the level of attention of the driver is assessed and display of icons in the computer. Where the steering wheel icon for an attentive drivers is, while the coffee cup icon means that a break should be inserted. If the driver is not still continues, an acoustic warning in addition signal at regular intervals.

High beam Assistant

The high beam Assistant automatically switches from long-distance to dipped-beam headlamps, as soon as vorausfahrender or more responsive transport or an adequate street lighting is recognized. If the lane is free again, the system automatically switches to high beam.

Dead angle Wizard

Radar sensors detect when a different motor vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, van) is in the blind spot of your vehicle, so that you are reminded of a warning light in the respective wing mirror.

Traffic sign recognition system

Road signs, such as Überholverbote or speed limits, are recognized on the front camera and displayed on the on-board computer.

Active city stop

To reduce collisions at low speed, a laser sensor continuously monitors the distance to the vehicle. If the vehicle before you run slowly or suddenly slows down, increases the pressure to the brake the system at an early stage and introduces the braking even independently. The system is active under 30 km/h and can help to avoid collisions at speeds up to 15 km/h and to reduce the severity of collisions at speeds of up to 30 km/h.

Mountain start-up wizard

The mountain start-up wizard supports secure start-up on slopes by the rollback of the vehicle is delayed. So, you have more time to switch from the brake to the accelerator.

Einpark Wizard

Just leave the parking your vehicle and waive complex parking manoeuvres. The Einpark Wizard determined with the help of Ultrasonic sensors, a parking space is sufficiently large and automatically controls the steering wheel. You even have to press just the accelerator and brake pedals.

Adaptive speed control system with collision warning system and overspeed

The adaptive speed control system (ACC - adaptive cruise control) enables driving at a selected speed, taking into account the prevailing traffic situation. A vehicle penetrates into the selected target distance, the system adjusts the distance by brake intervention and speeds up automatically at the selected speed, once the line is free again. The associated collision warning system (FA - forward alert) warns about falling below a critical safety distance by means of optical and acoustic signals before a crash. The braking system is prepared to ensure a shortest braking distance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i wish my car had wizards.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The European countries are hoarding them for their own cars. How many wizards does one car need?

Well the majority of wizards in Harry Potter are in Europe so I guess it makes sense.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can anyone give a good explanation of why all these awesome features aren't available in the US? Do they charge more in Europe? Different market/competition/regulation? Super jealous!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
vid

that's the european version.... def.
also, the accent is not quebecois but european french.....
dunno why the dealership in montreal nord used it.... maybe it's all they had or maybe cuz it has more ' bling' than the n. american focus they figured they'd reel in more folks to the dealership?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's the european version.... def.
also, the accent is not quebecois but european french.....
dunno why the dealership in montreal nord used it.... maybe it's all they had or maybe cuz it has more ' bling' than the n. american focus they figured they'd reel in more folks to the dealership?
they used to probably because it's in french. lol.

·
Registered
936 Posts
All these features are making for worse drivers. Why the hell is everybody so lazy that they can't even step on the brake pedal or paying attention so poorly they can't avoid lane dividers.
While you are right, it's sad that it would be more valid if people could simply not hit the car in front of them... It isn't all that complicated, most of the time! Yet, people can't even turn on their headlights at night time, so behold...

Europeans are willing to pay more for small cars with big car features.
+1. And they have many more nice small cars to chose from. Ford stretched the North American compact segment feature content and price beyond the other cars; with so many people complaining about $30k Foci, that they thought nobody would really buy because for that you can get a larger car (like an Impala [rofl]) for that money. Alas, many people are opting for the Titanium and SELs loaded to the nines.

Perhaps other companies and Ford themselves will offer more now that they see the appetite for such kit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
While you are right, it's sad that it would be more valid if people could simply not hit the car in front of them... It isn't all that complicated, most of the time! Yet, people can't even turn on their headlights at night time, so behold...
Years ago, Popular Mechanics ran an article on a study of how safety features added to cars don't translate to the expected safety improvements in the real world. The study concluded that many safety features create dependence and/or overconfidence. True safety needs the right mindset. One suggestion from the study is to add features that not only make the car work better, but make the driver more aware that he needs to change his driving. One example was a disconcerting buzz/vibration if the traction control kicks in--the car is still under control, but the driver would be conscious that he's pushed it a bit too far & would feel uneasy thus prompting him to act more safely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts