Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put them in the holes left by the side window defrosters. I've never had them fog up, and if I wanted to unfog them I could just set the AC to Defrost/Air and point the side vents at the windows. They are a PERFECT fit, they look stock with no modification.

Sorry about the shitty night pics, I'll take some tomorrow and update it. The flash makes the tweeters look yellow, but that's just the cone inside. In normal light they match the dash.

Yes, the car is filthy, haha. And no, the left tweeter isn't dented. That's a fingerprint that the flash wrecked. Haha.

I still haven't wired these up yet, the wires are hanging into the footwells. I want to splice them with the door speakers, but NOT inside the doors. I want to splice them into the wires INSIDE the car, and unfortunately there are like 100 wires bundled up going into the doors. Can someone tell me what wires they need to tap into down there? Right now I have no clue. There's... there's too many of them!

·
Registered
637 Posts
LOL thats sooo funny, that's where Im going to be installing my tweets! I figured instead of hacking up the interior I'd put them in those use-less holes! Great idea dude. BTW what paint did you use to paint your vent surround, I've been contemplating doing that to my interior.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks good, How do they sound with the Windows all the way down? I put mine in the doors, had to angle them a bit to sound good

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Good idea dood, i like

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
nice

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, How do they sound with the Windows all the way down? I put mine in the doors, had to angle them a bit to sound good
Thanks! I have no idea how they sound as they aren't wired up yet. :p

I have no idea which wires to tap into, how are there THAT many wires going into the door?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL thats sooo funny, that's where Im going to be installing my tweets! I figured instead of hacking up the interior I'd put them in those use-less holes! Great idea dude. BTW what paint did you use to paint your vent surround, I've been contemplating doing that to my interior.
I just used some cheap silver spraypaint from Autozone. I don't remember which kind it was, but it has held up very nicely and you can't even tell it's paint in person. I want to say it was Duplicolor, but it might have actually just been some cheap generic silver.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
simply wiring them to the door speakers will be bad news for the amp in your headunit...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
simply wiring them to the door speakers will be bad news for the amp in your headunit...
I did this in my old Focus with the same tweeters to the same HU and never had a problem. What would happen? Also, what should I do as an alternative?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
if you put a 4 ohm tweeter in parallel with your 4 ohm speakers you are giving the HU a 2 ohm load which will make it very very not happy...

the right way to do things is to either 1) get a component set with a passive crossover network and the correct impedance for your amp or 2) get separate amps for the tweeters and speakers and go active.

also if you do it the way youre planning on the tweeter will not be happy unless you run a high-pass filter on its signal wires... like 3500hz or higher...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you put a 4 ohm tweeter in parallel with your 4 ohm speakers you are giving the HU a 2 ohm load which will make it very very not happy...

the right way to do things is to either 1) get a component set with a passive crossover network and the correct impedance for your amp or 2) get separate amps for the tweeters and speakers and go active.

also if you do it the way youre planning on the tweeter will not be happy unless you run a high-pass filter on its signal wires... like 3500hz or higher...
... Wow. That is way more complicated than I thought.

What are the odds of something actually going wrong if I do it like this, at least until i can get the materials to do it right? I ran them for about 6 months like this on the old Foc with no problems.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
4-ohm stable amps (like the ones in HU's) were not designed to put out that much current... it will likely overheat if you play too loud, get permanently damaged, and you *might* get a fire.

·
Registered
800 Posts
trust me just get a component set with the crossover and you will be much more pleased with the overall preformance of your sound setup

also just a reminder
highs are very focused sound producers so where ever you point them thats where the sound is going to go

mids have more of a 180 degree sound spectrum

and lows are felt 360 degrees

just keep that in mind when hooking up and placing speakers

judging by the pics thats a good reflective location for those the sound will reflect off the window and put the sound stage more in ur face so to speak[headbang]

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4-ohm stable amps (like the ones in HU's) were not designed to put out that much current... it will likely overheat if you play too loud, get permanently damaged, and you *might* get a fire.
Wow, thanks for the info on that. I had no idea. I'm not very savvy in the audio department.

Would you recommend a specific tweeter? These were cheap but the shape was perfect for the holes, I'd like to find something else that fits there because I'm so happy with it. How much should I expect to spend? Also, what do you mean when you say "crossover"?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm a total n00b in this department. Thanks for all the help.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
a quick googleing brought this up

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/component_speakers/component_speakers.htm

sorry i dont have more time right now that will have to do

browse that site and search the forum on caraudio.com to learn more [thumb]

You can get a good amp, install kit, and a decent component set for under $300 if you shop around. At 120W/side you will be BLOWN AWAY. For instance, back when I was shopping:

Rockford-Fosgate p550.2 $135 shipped (amazon)
Phoenix Gold rsd65cs $87 shipped (forogt the supplier, but they are still selling them last i checked)
4awg wiring kit $25 shipped (amazon)
remnant MDF to make 6.5" adapters $8 (home depot)
50 ft 12awg speaker wire $12 (wally world)

and then give yourself a weekend to install everything and you will be amazed.

just make sure you set the gain and filter correctly on your amp. there are tutorials on setting gain, google it.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
mb quart/alpine combo is my personal pref...

but drew, next time you're in town we should work on this, between myself, dan, and wade we should be able to set you up right for cheap!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hell yeah man, I'm meaning to come back to Auburn soon. I miss you guys. I'll just leave them in the dash not hooked to anything until then, haha. And save up in the mean time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts