Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm doing good for the mods I have done to the car and the fact that it was on a mustang dyno which reads lower than a dynojet would. I've ran a best of 15.8 in the 1/4 mi and that was before the dyno tune on the cam gears the first pull had me at 116hp at the wheels. We did get has high has 126hp at the wheels but I was loosing alot of TQ. We decided to go for best avg. hp and TQ and this is where we ended up at. Has you can see I have TQ everywhere or at least thats the way the motor feels. It really pulls now once it hits 4500rpm. It increased its overall drivablitly greatly.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101161

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
next thing you need as a good set of cams!! thats pretty good for basic boltons!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd be very happy with that. [cheers]

It sounds like the cam gears and dyno time made a difference. Now all you need is a new 1/4 mile run to back it up. Should be fun.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
i wish my tq curve didnt fall like it did. Did dyno tuning the cams really help the top end tq? mine falls off pretty quickly after 5k rpms.....

I do also have a hi-flo cat, not long tube headers...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
that makes me really dissapointed, though my cam gears werent tuned with my cams i still had only about 120whp and 134wtq.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think I'm doing good for the mods I have done to the car and the fact that it was on a mustang dyno which reads lower than a dynojet would. I've ran a best of 15.8 in the 1/4 mi and that was before the dyno tune on the cam gears the first pull had me at 116hp at the wheels. We did get has high has 126hp at the wheels but I was loosing alot of TQ. We decided to go for best avg. hp and TQ and this is where we ended up at. Has you can see I have TQ everywhere or at least thats the way the motor feels. It really pulls now once it hits 4500rpm. It increased its overall drivablitly greatly.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101161
nice job... this is a little off topic i had a question for u. what do u have done to your car??? is everything in ur profile??? and ur running a 15.8??? man there has got to be something wrong with my car cause im running like a 16.8 and my mod are in the sig [bash]

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
^^ when (time of day and year) are you running the car? Ive run a 15.9 at OSW in Orlando in Feb...thats before high flo cat.

It could also be a factor of how many miles are on the car.

·
Registered
975 Posts
ur tuned and u only got 119.
i had VERY similar parts and made 130whp and 133tq UNtuned.
full exhaust, intake, coil, wires, X3, and thats about it...

but now im boosted!

·
Registered
975 Posts
double post

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember its a mustang dyno they read lower than a dynojet or any other type of dyno so the the numbers are really proably 124hp and 130tq. My car is very consiteint at the track. I can run 15.9-16.0 all day long. I forget when I made that 15.8 run I'll look at the ticket and pot later about that. I have yet to run with the numbers I'm putting down I expect at least a 15.7 that what I was shooting for before but I was never putting out TQ like this.

Has for the question about power falling off at 5k + rpm not anymore infact it pulls very nicely no drop off it feels like I have power everywhere now ecspecialy mid to high rpm. If you have cam gear you really need to get them dyno tuned well worth it and the best upgrade by far. My only run after the dyno tuning of the cam gears resulted in a stripped diff. I have yet to be back at the track but it pulls alot hard charging through the gears 4th gear is no longer slow.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ur tuned and u only got 119.
i had VERY similar parts and made 130whp and 133tq UNtuned.
full exhaust, intake, coil, wires, X3, and thats about it...

but now im boosted!
I'm still running the stock flex pipe and not all of my exhaust is 2.5" I have no ECU tune. What kind of dyno did you run on?

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Guess you guys will hate me lol.

My ZX3 2002 MTX with ONLY a Heat Soaked SRI made 119whp and 124tq on a mustang dyno...........eat your hearts out. Untuned all stock except the intake change.

BTW i have the sheet to back it up.

Sweet stuff though man good work.

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
^ zetec's stock cam timing varies from one to the next

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^it greatly varies. I've had two different stock motors in my car and the power bands of both of them varied greatly. One was pure 3krpm-5krpm that faded quickly past 5.5krpm. The motor thats in the car now had what felt like two TQ peaks one at 3k rpm and the peak 5k rpm it felt lumpy. After the dyno very distinct power band now that starts 3.5krpms starts pulling hard 4.5k rpm pulling all the way 6k rpm. Its very nice now. Sometime I find it hard to believe that ford would even design something with a variablity like that in cam timing. But now it makes sense why the ZX2's and SVT's dyno closer is because the VCT cam needs to be on a certain why which makes it easier to time the motor I guess. We also have high humidity here [paranoid]

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd say it was wise to tune for best average torque. For a daily driver, area under the curve beats peak power any day. Unless you only drive at 6000 RPM.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
^^i agree. thats why i went hi-flow cat and not long tube header, cuz I dont drive a whole lot about 4k rpms anyways....unless I feel like it hitting some on/off ramps.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^well I still would've went with the long tube header any day (I've had both long and short) here is a link that backs up my argument http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0110scc_project_ford_focus_zx3_part_2/index.html . Has for power under the curve will be the best best ecspecially on a DD car. Also believe me my car has power every where or at least thats what it feels like now. Before when I tuned the cam gear to my butt dyno it was way way off. It only felt like I had more top end cause I got rid of all of my low end lol.If you check out the other link it talks all about bolt-ons for our car I also own the issues I consider them the zetec guide book of sorts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Long tube header is def the way to go. Ford Racing's SVT conversion is an excellent LT header. I'm getting 127 WHP 132 WTQ with my mostly bolt on mods.

I'm the dyno sheet right after yours, sleepyboy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts