Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was pulling into the driveway at my work, and the check fuel cap light came on. I knew my cap was on, but as the manual says, and what any avg. person would think of doing is check it and take it back off and put it back on. Of course no changes while doing that, so had my brother check the code when I got home from work since he has the scan tool to do that. Of course it gave the code that there was a vaccum leak and to check fuel cap. He reset the light to turn it off and so far, it hasn't came back on. It's been a few days now, so I figured if there was something seriously wrong, the light would have came back on already. Was just wanting to ask, should there be any cause for alarm, or just wait and see what happens? I have heard of these lights coming on before, not necessarily on the focus, but on other cars, and it would just be a glitch. Still running great, so i'm thinking if it doesn't come back on then everything is ok. Please give me your input on this. I hate dealing with the dealer and won't unless I have to.

·
Registered
388 Posts
on some cars you would still have to reset the ECU even if you fixed the problem to get the light to come off. also on some it just takes awhile for the light to come off after fixing the problem.

if it comes back on i would take it to the dealer, that's what your warrenty is for [cool]

·
Registered
816 Posts
if it comes back on i would take it to the dealer, that's what your warrenty is for
Yup, that's what I'd suggest. [thumb]

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MAD Performance said:
on some cars you would still have to reset the ECU even if you fixed the problem to get the light to come off. also on some it just takes awhile for the light to come off after fixing the problem.

if it comes back on i would take it to the dealer, that's what your warrenty is for [cool]
As I mentioned, the light is off cause my brother did reset the light, just not for sure if it is fixed yet or not, but as of right now, the light hasn't came back on. I knew it would eventually go off if it was fixed, but had him reset the light while he was already into it. I will take it to the dealer if it comes down to that, but was just stating that I hate to cause I don't like dealing with them. Have always had bad luck everytime i've ever taken anything in to be fixed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
dont worry, everything sounds normal. when the light comes on, and you check your cap, it wont go back off for a few driving cycles. if you would have let it go, it probably would have turned off within a day or two, depending on how much you drive. but like they said, if it happens again, i would have it checked

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K, thanks for the advice. I'll just keep an eye out for it.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
It happened to me when I first got my car. It wouldn't go off even after we took it off and tightened it. Waited a few days, still didn't go off. So we disconnected the battery and it never came back on. Don't know if that was the right thing to do but I haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
mine didn't reset by itself either.. the next time it came on, the cap was tight when it came on. a few days later the CEL came on. Took it to the dealer for warrentee, and they found a vacuum hose disconnected on the firewall area. They were nice enough to fix it free.. I had inadvertantly disconnected the hose while I was changing the oil filter from the top. my sleeve caught it and i didn't realize it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 2001 zx3 and i changed my fuel filter and a day later my light came on , check fuel cap, assuming it had something to do with me getting the pressure out of the system and replacing it i cleared the code this morning and am going to see if it comes back on. my question is is that something that could cause that or is it more likely i have a pending evap code for something else ?

·
So mote be it
8,937 Posts
i have a 2001 zx3 and i changed my fuel filter and a day later my light came on , check fuel cap, assuming it had something to do with me getting the pressure out of the system and replacing it i cleared the code this morning and am going to see if it comes back on. my question is is that something that could cause that or is it more likely i have a pending evap code for something else ?
sounds like the fuel cap just wasnt tight. I'd wager the code doesnt come back on. I had mine light come on once, cleared the code and it hasnt been back on since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 250k on the car rebuilt top end and a lot of other stuff is brand new but I never replaced any evap stuff yet so I'm sure at some point dry rotted tubes hoses or clogs will make themselves known

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The valve in the gas cap can fail, especially on older cars, giving you a code for Large Evap Leak (newer cars have an idiot light for Gas Cap).
It's about $10-15 to replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I kept getting the code so I bought a new one and got the code again. I learned you've gotta click the cap multiple times for a good seal, haven't gotten the code since 2011

·
Registered
7 Posts
aaa ill buy a new one and see if it happens again.....and off topic has anyone done rod bearings in a 2001 zx3 DOHC zetec motor i have 250k on my bottom end and want to do them but it looks like i have to dissemble the whole motor ? is there a trick to doing it with out pulling the whole motor ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have this same issue. first my CEL came on throwing out an EGR - flow insufficient code, then the fuel cap light came on. I bought a brand new one from Ford and the other day I replaced my fuel filter so I had the battery dissconnected for a while and the ECU reset. the CEL hasn't come back on but the fuel cap light is now back on. I've tried looking under the hood to locate these mythical vacuum hoses everyone speaks of but can't seem to find anything disconnected or looking bad. So who knows

·
Registered
95 Posts
aaa ill buy a new one and see if it happens again.....and off topic has anyone done rod bearings in a 2001 zx3 DOHC zetec motor i have 250k on my bottom end and want to do them but it looks like i have to dissemble the whole motor ? is there a trick to doing it with out pulling the whole motor ?
I wish I'd have tried clicking the cap more and it might've saved me the cost of a new one.

As far as bearings I'm at 336k on my 01 and the motor hasn't been apart. The OE clutch finally died at 281k. You probably don't need it[dunno] I use Mobil 1 and a ford filter so that probably doesn't hurt. To do them you'd need to take the windage tray off, it'd be a pita to do in-car

1 - 20 of 22 Posts