Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the threads and can't figure out why the check engine light is still on. I have replaces both o2 sensors and cleaned the MAF. I have also sprayed carb cleaner all over the engine bay and can't find a single vacuum leak. So what's the next step? It's an 04 SVT Focus. Only mods are an MSD coil and MSD wires. They have been on for a while so I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That code is a bank 1 running too lean correct? if it is just try throwing some fuel injector cleaner in it. It may just be a dirty fuel injector, also check spark plugs.

If its a small vacuum leak, try spraying the hoses with some soapy water, the air will make the soapy water bubble. It could also just be a gas cap, the seal inside of it may have went.

Or if you think you fixed the problem disconnect your battery and your system will reset.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That code is a bank 1 running too lean correct? if it is just try throwing some fuel injector cleaner in it. It may just be a dirty fuel injector, also check spark plugs.

If its a small vacuum leak, try spraying the hoses with some soapy water, the air will make the soapy water bubble. It could also just be a gas cap, the seal inside of it may have went.

Or if you think you fixed the problem disconnect your battery and your system will reset.
Correct, left bank running lean. I went through three tanks of gas with fuel injector cleaner and I've disconnected the battery a few times already. Seal on the gas cap? I'll have to check that tomorrow, thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
im saying leak in one of the boots going to the intake manifold. check that closely, get some starter fluid but from walmart, turn the car on and spray by each boot. Listen for the engine to race a bit, if it races up youve found your leak wherever you just sprayed.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
you have a vacuum leak somewhere. check again real close. Its not the gas cap totally unrelated.
I'm pretty sure that if there is a vacuum leak, the gas cap could be the problem. At least that's what i was always told.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Hate to crap all over your post bud, but not much of it is accurate. Unless he has a miss its pointless to get at the plugs or injectors. A miss would cause a lean condition but he's not mentioning a performance issue. A vacuum leak will not show bubbles in soapy water like a tire. It could not be the gas cap under any circumstance; I'd explain exactly why if I weren't posting from a mobile.

Boots are a common vac leak source. The pcv catch can could also be rotted out. Finding a leak by ear is tough, I wouldnt be surprised if you still had one. Don't be too proud to take it to a shop... I wouldn't now my lawn with scissors you shouldn't diagnose an efi car with your ear, a can of ether and a bottle of snake oil injector cleaner

·
Registered
91 Posts
I replaced my PCV valve when i had that code and it went away. There is a TSB about PCV being possible cause. If you are boosted, use the SuperCoupe PCV FROM A FORD DEALERSHIP. If not then get a motorcraft PCV for the SVTF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts