Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I was driving my check engine light came on and I couldn't get into Sport Shift mode. Also I'm experiencing very hard shifts.

Is my transmission gone? Any fixes that I can do before bringing it into the dealer?

Thank you in advance.

2012 Ford Focus SEL.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also of note, I've never changed my spark plugs ever since I bought my car new (so over 114,000 kms on it). I'm going to try swapping out the spark plugs now. Do you guys think this is the reason?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Definitely don't think it's the spark plugs. My vote is transmission control module and that's no surprise because the 2012's had some of the earliest batches of that module.

It should be covered under warranty. I'd get ahold of your nearest dealer.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that makes sense.

This is not the first time I've had to replace the TCM. The first time it happened while driving and it sounded like the gears were grinding against each other. Shift forks were stuck was on the official Ford service papers.

To be honest I was really happy with this car till this second TCM and I was OK to live with all the DCT issues.

After this incident I'll be looking for a new vehicle and won't even consider Ford. I can't believe how they let such an inferior transmission and UNSAFE transmission make it to this car and the Focus is or was a good car too. Sigh!

P.S. Just found out I can't get into Reverse on top of the above issues. Yay. :(

·
Registered
2017 Race Red Focus SE sport 2017 Mercedes Benz c43 AMG
2 Posts
One of the updates Ford did a few years ago to the '12 to '14's was add a check engine light when the TCM goes bad. Before that there was no indication that it was going bad, it would just stop working

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Start with getting the code read. I don't know about Canada, but in the US any auto parts chain will run the code for free.

I seriously doubt plugs are your issue at only 114K.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When my TCM went out, the S went away, I lost reverse and one of the other PNRDS indicators had a white box behind it

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks, that makes sense.

This is not the first time I've had to replace the TCM. The first time it happened while driving and it sounded like the gears were grinding against each other. Shift forks were stuck was on the official Ford service papers.

To be honest I was really happy with this car till this second TCM and I was OK to live with all the DCT issues.

After this incident I'll be looking for a new vehicle and won't even consider Ford. I can't believe how they let such an inferior transmission and UNSAFE transmission make it to this car and the Focus is or was a good car too. Sigh!

P.S. Just found out I can't get into Reverse on top of the above issues. Yay. :(
Out of pure curiosity. When was the first one replaced?

I have no idea if the 2016 TCM revision was an actual fix to the issues or not. I have serious doubts. A couple of people in the last year had their 2016 MY cars with TCM failures. I believe most if not all 16s didn't have the F model TCM. I just haven't heard of anyone with a 17 or 18 have their module fail but Ford sold the least DCTs in those years because sedans lost favor with consumers at least in the US.

Mine was showing early symptoms of failure on my 16 but I had it replaced almost a year ago when they did my clutch for 19N08.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weird thing is the reverse worked today but the CEL is still on.
I had it reprogrammed back in 2015. Not sure if it was actually replaced.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I’m glad the Ford tech was thorough with his or her notes. Kudos to them!

What do the notes mean other than I had the TCM replaced?

Also why does this part fail so often? Remember it’s my second one. I think I should start looking into the “grounding mod” where I sand paper the paint where the negative ground wire is attached to the body of the car. What do you people think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts