Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the check engine light came on for the first time since I have the car.According to the owner manual,this ligth detect an emission control malfunction.So my first guess would be a defective oxygen sensor.But here is 2 oxygen sensor (upstream and downstream).Is there any way to test these sensors?If they are ok what could be the reason the light turn on?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The check engine light comes on when your powertrain control module detects a problem. It will set a diagnostic trouble code and turn the light on. There are almost 3000 different codes that it could be. My suggestion is take it to a Ford service department and get it fixed.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
270 Posts
Autozone will read the code for free for you. It might point you in the right direction if you want to try to fix it yourself. Don't just start changing parts. As Duff said it could be anything.

·
Registered
936 Posts
But against what Duff said ... until you know what's wrong, don't take it to a dealer or shop. Depending on the shop, they could "find" all kinds of problems that cost way more than what you need.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
hell yeah dont go to the dealer, like 50 bucks to put her on the machine. Go to advanced auto or some place where they can check it for free.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am with everyone. Go to Autzone or a shop that will do it for free. here in Dallas the

stealer will hook it up to there machine for $100.00...

Good luck post the code here asap as soon as you know so we can all help..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check engine light

This morning, I disconnected the battery[wrenchin] , went to bed and had many good dreams[angel] .When I woke up, had a little lunch,got back to the car,reconnected the battery, turned on the ignition key and guess what?
The check engine light went off.[neener] I took the road for a little ride, restarted the car twice and the check engine light never came back on.
So I believe this is the best thing to do before going to the dealership and get billed for many $$$$$$$ for nothing.Because the car just run fine as before.[driving]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble there Jupiter mine lasted 2 weeks before comming back on. So more than likely it will come back and I am willing to bet you will have the same code back until you fix what really is broken.

Godo luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so it came back after 2 weeks.Did you have it checked and if so what was the problem with your ZX3

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check engine light

Sorry to burst your bubble there Jupiter mine lasted 2 weeks before comming back on. So more than likely it will come back and I am willing to bet you will have the same code back until you fix what really is broken.

Godo luck
Did you have it checked and if so what was the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts