Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Ford Focus was close to being out of gas and the check engine light came on. Per the owner's manual I filled the car with (well that didn't specify Exxon) Exxon 87 octane gasoline and continue to drive it. The check engine light has not gone out. Do I need to go through more than one tank of gas! I'm scared to death of breaking down somewhere near nowhere!!

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
bring it into a dealer, their comps can tell what the light is for.

hope your still under warranty

·
Registered
456 Posts
Or you can go to AutoZone and get the codes ran as well for free.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
yes ^^ oracle hit that on the money. takes about 2 mins.... and they can direct you from there

BTW welcome to the forum.. how did you hear about us?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes, you can go to Autozone and have your codes read free. But beware - they are going to try to sell you whatever part(s) are suggested by the trouble code. The problem with this is that a lot of things can happen that are not repaired by throwing new parts at it (bad connectors are one example - we just had a thread on this). By all means get your codes read at Autozone or wherever - but resist any sales pressure. First come back here and tell us what the codes were.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Check the gas cap and then unplug the battery wait 10 min and plug it back in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't think that the light will go out on its own, it has to be reset

·
Registered
456 Posts
The OBD II reader can clear the CEL after you get the codes ran. That way you don't have to wait for the ECU to re-learn.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
fast5 said:
I don't think that the light will go out on its own, it has to be reset
Not true. Per the OBD-II standard, the light will go off by itself after three drive cycles IF the problem was corrected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2000 Focus manual suggests that if you you clear the Check Engine light by means of
a battery reset...that you should run the engine at idle speed until engine is at operating temp. Follow this by revving engine to about 1,200 rpm for about 10 minutes.
Just a suggestion...
Check your gas cap and make sure it is screwed on good and tight. Tank Atmospheric Pressure sensor will turn on the C/E light is the tank is not sealed tight.
Good luck!

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
quick answer:

If you go to a local autozone, mechanic, or dealership, you can have the car scanned via an OBD reader to tell you what the check engine light means. With that code, we can tell you what parts to buy, where to buy them,and how to install them.

10 to 1 its a faulty oxygen sensor, but we can only speculate until you get that code.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts