Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my 02 SVT Focus to a local transmission shop to have a Quaife LSD, SPEC clutch and SPEC flywheel installed. To make everything fit, they had to shim the starter (I don't know why).
When they returned the car to me, the "Check Engine" light came on. I pointed this out to them immediately. They ran the codes and determined it was the O2 sensor. They cleared it and sent me on my way. Everything seemed fine.
Yesterday afternoon, I got back into the car and cranked it. The "Check Engine" light immediately came on and stayed on. I contacted the transmission shop this morning, and they say that they can take no responsibility for it, but would be happy to replace the O2 sensor for me.
It appears that they disconnected the battery during the installation. Is there any way that they may have reconnected it to cause this problem? Perhaps there is a wire that could have been pulled loose? I'm not overeager to spend th $50 under ESP to have this taken care of. If it's simple, I'd like to handle it myself.
Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've got about 46000 miles on the car. I did check to see that all the wires were connected up top. I didn't check under the car, though.

I also just went out and looked, after examining some underhood pics -- the cover that goes over the coil next to the airbox is gone, too -- presumably removed and never replaced when they were moving the starter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive been working on cars for a long time now... I dont know how many miles you have but it seems that o2 sensors like to fail (especially front o2s) at around 45-65k... That range is like magic ... Has done it on practically all of my personal cars and a lot of customer cars.. I doubt it was from the shop disconnecting your battery .. Most O2 sensors are wired through the Engine control unit and even some kind of voltage surge probably wouldnt make it all the way too it causing it to fail... besides they are normally pretty tough .. Ive tryed zapping them before with pretty decent amperage (to turn in for warranty claims) and they are very tough..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts