Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have a 2003 SVT focus that I bought 2 days ago.

Check engine light came on last night when my dad was driving.

I've heard that SVT foci destroy the rear O2 sensors or it could be the intake.

Any other thoughts on what it could be? Don't have a scanner atm.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
get codes and then come back to us
[grinking]

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm trying to get lol.

Just wondering if there's anything common for this on SVT foci.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Could be any of dozens of things, that's why you need the code/s.

AutoZone will read it for free...just make sure you get the actual number, not just their interpretation (e.g. P0300, not "random misfire", because there are several things that can cause a code and they seem to only look at the first one).

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to the seller, Matt from Speedway Recyclers, tomorrow. He still scan the code for me.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out it has to do with the intake problem... Can't remember what it's called but something stuck open...according to code.

He gave me a new-used intake regulator or whatever the heck it is. When we drove away, the CEL went back off... Does that usually happen after a code is run?

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Is it the IMRC? (Intake Manifold Rudder Control)

New one from Ford is like $375.00

Pretty easy to replace too.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Ah.. You might be able to repair it.
And I meant imrc when I said dsi... Cuz its the controller for the dual stage intake. There's a how to on how to fix it.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Might be able to fix it if it keeps coming on and going off.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't toss the old parts, as mentioned they can often be repaired/reused and SVT pieces are becoming harder to come by. (repaired is a lot cheaper than buying one if needed)

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't toss the old parts, as mentioned they can often be repaired/reused and SVT pieces are becoming harder to come by. (repaired is a lot cheaper than buying one if needed)
Like I was saying, Matt gave me a salvage one in exchange for the broken one so he can clean the contacts and sell it.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
If it's cleared it may stay off for awhile, but may come back.

My ZTS had a CEL for misfire in #!...changed coil...then light came back on about 2 weeks later...had code cleared...hasn't come on since lol.

I was able to pass emmisions here in Colorado with my CEL on for IMRC code in my silver SVT.

You can clear a code by unplugging your battery for a bit too, but that's not recommended.

I bought a new IMRC because I didn't want to rely on a used IMRC after the work it takes to access it on an SVT.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Turns out it has to do with the intake problem... Can't remember what it's called but something stuck open...according to code.

He gave me a new-used intake regulator or whatever the heck it is. When we drove away, the CEL went back off... Does that usually happen after a code is run?
Micah - All I knew was what you mentioned here of the details, that's why Mike is now asking if you installed it yet.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Check my album I have a pic of what I removed to replace it in case you are interested.

There's a thread around here somewhere too I'll see if I can find it.

[twothumbs]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts