Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I installed my new CAI. Everything was running smooth and going great. Recently though it seems that I have to disconnect the battery weekly for the thing to try to relearn. I know this isnt the best thing to keep doing and not to mention its a pain every time. I have checked over the intake over and over and can not find any leaks or anything.

The last time that I "got on it" the light flipped on immediately. My gas mileage has dropped significantly and its killing me. I am out of ideas and not sure what to do.

2 weeks ago, I was at such a loss I tried to reinstall the stock intake. That is a feat in itself. Needless to say, I couldnt even fit the box of the intake back up into the engine bay. What a joke!

I need some ideas, help, anything. Thanks in advance.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I havent heard of many people getting a CEL when installing a CAI. I would double and tripple check everything to make sure its connected right. Is the MAF going the right direction, is the wire harness clip for it connected correctly/tight?

Have you had the check engine light code read? Take it some where like advance or autozone to see. Might be something unrelated to the CAI.
Go here and here to see what the code means

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Definitely check all your connections and you may also want to clean your Maf sensor just to eliminate it being dirty and causing the CEL .

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
what CAI do you have? the black plastic K&N is slightly off where the MAF plugs in and itll throw a CEL.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I installed the FSwerks CAI and flipped a CEL when I firt installed it. Cleaned the MAF sensor and havent popped a CEL since. (2 years) Also could be the kind of intake you have like BB said. Deff get the code read though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Also when handling the MAF sensor, be sure not to finger the hell out of it. Natural skin oils and dirt and debris from your hands can jack it up. Sen sa tive...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
it only goes one one way if you have the air intake going the right way!

is the maf directional?
Up sure is= you can tell by looking at it as far as which way the air goes thru the intake, & it only fit's on one way too.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
yeah.. still doing it. maybe its something else, but ever since i switched over its been doing this.
What brand intake/filter are you using?

Did you try to clean the MAF as suggested above? Some the filters that are pre-oiled, some of the oil can get sucked up and stick to the MAF sensor causing a code to be read. this stuff is sold at most auto stores.

At least go get that code read, find out if its related to the intake and then we can help trouble shoot further from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a marcy motorsports.

took it in today and the guy rattled the code off to me and says, "basically you're running lean." He handed me a can of spray to clean the MAF. Just did it and letting the car run for 15 minutes to see if the light comes on then going to take it for a ride for about 10 to 15 just to see.

I already notice the engine is running quieter and doesn't sound like its struggling hard while running in park.

Thanks guys for all the help!

·
Registered
296 Posts
There is NO code that sais your car is learning , what was the code P1000?

Tom
[poke] Tom, i like you based on the fact that you 99% of the time give out spot on info, but, you may need to reread his post. The "tech" told him that he is "basically running lean", not that his car is learning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Only thing I can think of is switching back to your stock airbox and returning the CAI if you can and go with FSWERKS instead. I just installed mine on my '08 and it works flawlessly!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would def. look into buying an intake that was made specifically for the duratec engine, i took the advanced auto spectre intake pieces and made my own to fit the car and the MAF didnt hook up right, i drove it for a few min, the power gain was def. noticeable and i reset the battery and felt a much stronger shift, but the car was really hesitant at times, it almost felt as if it was choking and had some throttle lag, i put the stock system back on and the CEL went off after 3 or 4 days and it runs fine now, but the MAF and any other sensor in the intake system def. needs to be carefully put in place.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would def. look into buying an intake that was made specifically for the duratec engine, i took the advanced auto spectre intake pieces and made my own to fit the car and the MAF didnt hook up right, i drove it for a few min, the power gain was def. noticeable and i reset the battery and felt a much stronger shift, but the car was really hesitant at times, it almost felt as if it was choking and had some throttle lag, i put the stock system back on and the CEL went off after 3 or 4 days and it runs fine now, but the MAF and any other sensor in the intake system def. needs to be carefully put in place.
It felt like it was choking out because it was too lean. If you had got a tune it would've fixed that and you would've had even more power. I'm speaking from experience btw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts