Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance and I have a 2007 Ford Focus. The check engine light just popped up and I was told (by the dealership) that the error was from the Intake Manifold Runner. They said it could be carbon build up or the solenoids could be bad.

I have a four questions:

1) Is it detrimental to drive it with this issue?

2) What am I looking at paying for parts/labor for either case in bold above?

3) Would this be too advanced of a fix for a novice?

4) Does the Check Engine Light automatically go off once the problem is fixed or will I have to take it back to someone who has the device to remove it?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I drove mine for a week with it on. Had to wait till payday the only negative you may notice is gas mileage. I think without warranty it would have come to like 220 dont quote me on that

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
1) No, but like above, youll probably see gas mileage go down a little

2) To remove the manifold and clean out buildup would be at least a few hundred id imagine. The part cant be too much.

3) Removing/ cleaning. reinstalling the IM is a half to all day job for someone handy with DIY stuff in the driveway. The solenoid might be doable (its right under the throttle body area) depending on your skill level

4) It should go off in a few cycles, but you can clear it by leaving the battery unhooked for 10-15 minutes

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its the tumble flaps they are controlled by a solenoid and vacuum motor depending on what position they are stuck in you may experience strange behavior from your little engine but, otherwise it doesn't hurt it.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It would be better if those were at least mostly open. You might have issues starting, but that's about it. You can play with it while the engine is idling to see if you can get it to a good spot. Some experimentation might do you good.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My CEL came on a few weeks ago and I finally got it diagnosed from my buddy, he told me the sensor was broken. He put some sort of air pressure thingy to one of the hoses that control the tumble flaps and it showed that the sensor was broken. Its located on the manifold near your throttle body. A harness hooks to the sensor and the sensor is hooked to a rod type thingy with a hose that runs to a solenoid ontop of the manifold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts