Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it mean when the check engine light is flashing? My car sounds like its running on 2 cylinders too.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Your owners manual sez:

"Check engine: The Check Engine indicator light illuminates when the ignition is first turned to the ON position to check the bulb. Solid illumination after the engine is started indicates the On Board Diagnostics System (OBD-II) has detected a malfunction. Refer to OBD-II in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter. If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and have your vehicle serviced immediately by your authorized dealer."

The flashing is telling you you have serious misfire problems and, as a result, a fuel rich mixture may be going into the cat which will overheat and destroy it if you continue to operate the vehicle.

I assume the engine is not overheating? If the engine is overheating, as a last resort, the engine purposely runs on two cylinders rather than four to cool things down a bit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
when the check engine light is flashing it means that you might have a major problem. If the light is solid than it could be a minor problem. I reccomend you taking it to get looked at right away. Its better to go and get it checked than to blow it off and make it worse.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They did a compression test and it was erm

cylinder 1 - 90 psi
cylinder 2 - 0 psi
cylinder 3 - 103 psi
cylinder 4 - 114 psi

So the second cylinder died. They quoted me a $3500 repair estimate for a new head and a $6500 for new motor. Motor comes with 3 year warranty. The head comes with a 12 month warranty. I'm going to get my car back from them and probably look into buying a new car. Bye bye focus =(

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"They quoted me a $3500 repair estimate for a new head and a $6500 for new motor"

I assume this is a dealer? I would guess off the top of my head that you could get a rebuilt motor installed for around $2k, or a refurbished head installed for less than $1K, perhaps even less, at an independent shop.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not with labor rates the way they are. You'd have to find a 'backyard' type of independant guy to get prices down that much.

$3500 is a bit steep, but you aren't ever gonna come close to getting a remanned head INSTALLED for a grand. Nor will you get an engine of any type (used, rebuilt, reman) INSTALLED for 2k.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about going with a ford racing head but, I dont want to put that much into the car. A new car maybe for me.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Where do the dealers get off on these prices? For $6500 you could have a fully built engine installed with a CGI block, all-forged internals and a P&P head...I would think you could at least get the install down to something closer to $2.5/$3K with the engine, I believe you can get a used Zetec from Focus Salvage for less than $500, although I would question the need for an entire engine if you're just failing a pressure test on #2...sounds like you need new rings or a new piston and maybe a new head, assuming the piston blew into pieces and damaged the head in the process.

·
Registered
469 Posts
just remember.... the dealer quoted you, so get another estimate/opinion before handing over that kind of money.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to some korean guy this morning. He said the same thing but in broken english. "Engine no good" But he said 2300 for new engine. I think we might go that route. Then I am going to strip off my performance stuff. Probably sell them on here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
SkaAddict said:
Where do the dealers get off on these prices? For $6500 you could have a fully built engine installed with a CGI block, all-forged internals and a P&P head...I would think you could at least get the install down to something closer to $2.5/$3K with the engine, I believe you can get a used Zetec from Focus Salvage for less than $500, although I would question the need for an entire engine if you're just failing a pressure test on #2...sounds like you need new rings or a new piston and maybe a new head, assuming the piston blew into pieces and damaged the head in the process.
well with issues like these we (ford techs and service managers) are required to sell ford factory parts which as you all know are not cheap not only that you are looking at like 12 labor hours of work which in general will cost almost as much the engine. Its the way the dealerships work and after fixing alot of crap that these samll indepent shops do cause they dont have the factory resoruces i will have to say its worth the cost.

You know how many cars we fix because so called "speed shops" do things that are dangerslouly wrong to the car then its costs twice as much to have us fix all the crap they screwed up

Case in point the mustangs are picky and cant be just hacked into we have fixed everything from fule problems cause of intakes to replacing motors cause of SC units with tunning that didnt work And those were from Roush so not all things are bad about dealerships and not all hop up parts are researched well enough even from Roush who should have it down but there program caused a lean misfire topped off with the Forced induction and boom (i was suprised actaully i figured roush should been safe but ohh well)

that being said it does sound a bit pricey

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
That price quote is from Tom's (of Focus-Power) website...I wouldn't classify him as a "speed shop..." And believe it or not, there are shops that are just as capable as a dealer when it comes to dropping in a crate or salvage engine. And explain to me the "justification" behind spending more than the car is worth on having the dealer install a new engine when all you get out of it is a 3 year warranty that the dealer will fight you tooth and nail on getting warranty service done under? I've been down that road before...a replaced part goes south, but since the rest of the car is out of warranty practically everything else on the car is at fault for the replaced part failing.

And in this case, it sounds like the usual case of the dealer advising repairs beyond what is needed, such replacing an entire engine for something that could (probably) be fixed with new rings or a new piston and connecting rod or a new head. Unless he cracked the block or severely damaged it (which he obviously didn't since it continued to run afterwards) there's no need for an entire engine...at least no need beyond the dealer making money off of ridiculously-inflated replacement part and labor costs.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"after fixing alot of crap that these samll indepent shops do"

Ford dealers aren't perfect. Three days after the last time I took my Explorer to a Ford dealer for some work, I opened the hood to check the oil. There was a large (about 12 inch) screwdriver still laying on the engine. And just a couple of weeks ago I took my Focus to a Ford dealer for 15,000 mil service (I normally work on the cars myself, but Ford gave a free 24K "Gold" maintenance agreement with the car when I bought it). I mention to check the handbrake as it seemed there was excessive freeplay. When I got the car back, there was zero freeplay. Seemed there should be some freeplay, but I figured they must know what they are doing. Drove home 50 miles and when I got home the rear drums were smelling and "spilt sizzle" hot.

So I readjusted the handbrake myself to give it the proper, but not excessive, amount of freeplay.

So frankly, based purely on my real life experiences, I have little faith in Ford Dealer Service.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I saw that blinking light on my Focus when I had the turbo....that was after the engine blew though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dwdgsi03 said:
I saw that blinking light on my Focus when I had the turbo....that was after the engine blew though.
You still have your focus? I noticed the mr2 in your avatar. I was never able to get that guys address too for your engine.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
m0nny said:
You still have your focus? I noticed the mr2 in your avatar. I was never able to get that guys address too for your engine.

Nope, I traded the Focus in for the MR2 you seen in my avatar. And about the address, it's really no biggie because my wife and I are going to open up a case with an attorney as soon as we move to Texas next month. So, I'm going to get my money back, it's just going to be the hard way.[rolleyes] The dude will wish he never crossed me like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2003 Focus dohc engine. Most of the time it runs great but would say about 3 times a week it will act as its missing. I have replaced the fuel filter, plugs,plug wires and coil pack. But still every once in a while it will act like its missing for a very short time and then will go back to running normal. The engine light might be on solid for 1 trip somewhere and then the next time you get in the light will be off. I have seen the light also begin flashing for a short time this probably has happen about 3 times in the last month for very short intervals. I did get a code reader don't remember now what the code numbers were but do remember it saying something about cylinder 4. What would cause it to be so sporadic to cause this. The only thing I can think of now is fuel pump or fuel injector. One other thing I was wondering if it made a difference if my gas tank was on the lower end when it happened but I've had it happen when near full also. Thanks for any help I can get!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Welcome!
It's better to start a new thread than revive one that's been dead for 10 years, even if the issues sound similar.

Check the wiring harness to your coil pack. The wires tend to fray or crack right at the plug and cause random misfires (codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304). It's a pretty common issue on early Foci.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts