Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... check engine came on again tonight on my commute home.

Last time it came on was on November 11th (code P2004) and I noticed that the vacuum hose wasn't on fully. Pushed it on and cleared the code, no lights until now. P2004 points to the IMRC being stuck open. I know a major reason for this code is a vacuum leak. I've also read that it could be the solenoid that the hoses connect to, or the IMRC is actually stuck open. Problem is that I've just replaced my entire IM in October (purchased straight from Andy at Village Ford). So with that said, here are my questions:

- With the light on, is my car ok to drive (I know that is an open-ended question but leads to my next one)?
- Will the light flash or something if the issue is severe to where the car shouldn't be driven?
- What is a good, inexpensive reader that you guys can suggest?
- Can this issue be exhaust related (only ask because my exhaust has been having some issue lately and probably has a hole)
- Is there a way I can check the IMRC to see if it is actually stuck open?
- What are some items I can check to see if it is a solenoid, IMRC, or something else?
- Where does the tube (bottom of solenoid) run to?

Due to the weather, school, work and lack of a garage, any means for me to approach this issue in a timely manner (short of taking it to a shop) is tough. If I can be provided some things to look into so I may narrow down the problem is what I would mostly appreciate. I've read that the solenoid can go. I know the vacuum tube from the IM is good. The other tube connected to the bottom of the solenoid I have not had a chance to properly inspect. I do not know how I can test if the solenoid and/or IMRC may be the problem.

Thanks for all of the help everyone

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It only has to stick occasionally for the CEL to be lit.

I went through this a while ago, took time to find the problem as it would always work fine in the driveway for the longest time.

You can see the arm that moves to control the flaps easily when it's all together, and revving it in the drive is enough to see it move when it's working. Arm end barely sticks up where you can see it at the driver's end of the manifold.

Exhaust isn't related, running when it's stuck closed (low rpm position) just cuts high rpm power - no disaster.

I used a scan tool bought at Harbor Freight for regular resets until solved. Cen Tech 98614 was around $100 then, NOT the cheapest that just reads codes - it can read a lot more & even graph/transfer data to computer/has a disc listing codes - more than I've used. Only 1 step better than their cheapest then, figured it would be worth it & it's paid for itself with just a couple repairs. (Reset everyone else's codes too)

Mine ended up being a split hose to the actuator, located below & behind the throttle body.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hmmm. Are you assuming that your present CEL is due to a P2004 because a CEL three months ago was due to a P2004?
Yes the Harbor Freight scanners work fine. Just look around and see what's on sale.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If there is an autozone near by you can have your codes read for free. You need to find a nice attendant to turn it off though as many won't do it, at least around here. Look up the torque app, you have to buy a dongle but I think it reads and clears codes as well as display live data and the dongle is less than $20 on eBay. Unfortunately this only works on android phones, not iOS units.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the input.

Yes, I am basing my questions off of the previous CEL code. But that is also why I asked about good yet inexpensive code readers.

I plan to go to pepboys to read my code again. Advance auto can't do ford's, so they say. I can't do it today but I plan to go tomorrow.

If the light is solid state, is it ok to drive? This is my only vehicle. I don't want to cause more damage to the car but I need to find a happy medium.

Thanks for the tip sailor. I'll give it a look shortly.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know you guys probably can't tell me if my car is OK to drive or not since I don't know the reason for the light. Just would like to know if it was serious if foci flash the light or something?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm looking into buying a reader that pairs to my phone Galaxy S5. Will an OBDii reader provide all of the codes I'm looking for? Or should I be looking for a reader that also provides other codes?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just purchased an OBD2 bluetooth reader for Android devices from Amazon. $27 total for rush delivery to receive tomorrow.

What is the best Android app to use for checking codes?

Since I have class tonight, I can't get the code checked. Tomorrow I will (pray) have a solid lead as to what is causing this light. I'm excited to get this so I can start checking things on my own.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
As spacemanspif mentioned earlier, "Torque" is a great App for what your doing. Free or Torque Pro for $5.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Marde. Sorry I forgot he mentioned that earlier.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well update:

Started car this morning, light was on. Came back about 5 min later and light was off. So far, been off for about 30 min into commute.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yes, the CEL will flash if there is a code indicating multiple misfires or something serious enough to cause damage.

And it's BS to say they can't read Fords...OBDII is a standard data protocol that all NA vehicles are required to use. They maybe can't read manufacturer-specific codes, like transmission ones, but if it's causing a CEL, then it's readable with any scanner. Mine was an el cheapo from the local auto surplus store ($30, I believe), and it does a fine job of basic code retrieval and removal.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I thought. I got my Bluetooth obd2 reader in and checked it with torque. Works but is a bit finicky. My next question(s) concerning appropriate vacuum, temps etc.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The big question is whether that will read current/pending codes for you & clear them, I'm not familiar with it's capabilities.

Didn't realize before that you didn't know for sure if it was the same code again.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I use the same type of scan tool setup; ELM327 plus Torque. It is rock steady, no problems, great features, scans for codes, clears them too.

Also does datalogging, but resolution is poor (samples per second too slow + data is often stale) and log files do not import into LiveLink... unless you edit the logfile; it's a pain, I have done it. End result of datalogging analysis using Torque data logs with LiveLink Gen-II = poor + I had no experience doing analysis of log files + I did not know what "normal" reading should be.

Here is a link to a public share with a couple logs I made.
The file named "Moded to Single hit trackLog-2014-Aug-20_16-34-28.csv" has Column A manually added; this allows LiveLink to open the file.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwoYnd3KRtjcNlZaY25rdjM3ekE&usp=sharing

Requires MS Excel, Goggle Sheets or similar to view them.

Bottom line is Torque is a great & very cheap tool; but is very poor at datalogging.

BTW, my IM Vac hovers around 22 Hg in. at idle and drops when throttle is opened = normal.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Marde for the information!

I was having issues with Torque lite connecting to the device even though I was paired to it. Little did I realize that my stereo receiver (even though it was turned off) still paired to my phone for phone calls. Once I disabled it, I was able to connect.

Went ahead and purchased the Pro version of it and just setting things up is daunting. Sooooo many options to choose from. Right now I have it set up to monitor the following:

RPM's
Catalyst Temp Bank 1 Side 1
Catalyst Temp Bank 1 Side 2
Catalyst Temp Bank 2 Side 1
Catalyst Temp Bank 2 Side 2
MAF Rate
Throttle Position (Manifold)
Intake Manifold Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Coolant Temp
Air to Fuel Ratio (measured not commanded)
Voltage (Control Module) - Can't seem to find one that monitors system voltage unless this is it?

Unsure if I should be putting my attention elsewhere or add others to my list, such as:

O2 Sensor (has Sensors 1-8) Equivalence Ratios and/or Wide-Range Voltage?
O2 Volts (Both Banks 1 & 2 go from 1-4)
EGR Commanded
EGR Error

So I'm looking for any insight that could help me better understand my vehicle and where I need to put my attention to if things are looking "right". I want to monitor items and hopefully see potential problems in hopes to be proactive instead of reactive.

I appreciate all help! Thanks guys.

sailor,

It does read codes and allow me to clear them. Now the light went out so there are no codes to read! haha. But at least I am prepared for when they do show!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Code is still there to be read, it's "set" but not "active".

You can also read "pending" ones that haven't lit the light yet if any are present.

Some of the items you set up to monitor will come up zero, there isn't a "bank 2" for this 4 cyl. inline engine.

If you find a setting for the misfire monitor that has been useful to me, seeing the counts there is better for diagnosis when it happens than waiting for the count to get high enough for even a "pending" code.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Checked codes. Came back P2004... so still pointing at the imrc.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also wasnt getting a reading for catalyst bank 1 side 2 and both catalyst bank 2, fuel pressure, and air to fuel ratio.

Now I get to try to diagnose this problem. Here's to doing car work in the cold! If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to all of them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts