Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i normally change the oil myself on my 04svtf but this time i went to jiffy lube and had them put penzoil 5w-20 systhetic oil in. Later about an hour after the oil change or so the check engine light came on. That night and this morning i checked the oil and it was way above the second (full) notch on the dipstick. Im taking in back to jiffylube today to get it rechanged. But what im wondering is would this be the reason my check engine light came on. Also there was a decent size puddle of water under my car near the transmission. What a mess

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
hmm...i don't know what to tell you. maybe get the code read so you can see what your ecu is throwing

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
lol....let this be a lesson.

make sure the water isnt slippery. if it is, its coolant. when it dries on your fingers, it should be sticky. i explain this cuz the coolant looses the color when it is on concrete or anywhere but the resevoir.

as far as the oil goes, id drain it yourself this time and do it right. done rely on them to fix a mess that they obviously cant handle. have the code read just to make sure its just an oil level code.

it may pop a lean condition too. this can be caused by oil overflow. or if they F'd up the dipstick seat, it will throw the same code.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
On the way back to Jiffy Lube, stop by Auto Zone and have them read the code. That way you can blame Jiffy Lube if the CEL could be related to the over-filling. They might just erase the code and deny everything.

Over-filling the crankcase cause serious problems.....like a blown rear main seal which then leaks oil into and out of the transmission bell-housing (the oil puddle).

Good luck. When I worked at a dealer, I had to replace three engines and one transmission after a Jiffy Lube fluid change. One incident involved a brand new Maxima engine with 3k on it. (drain plug fell out).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help,
The puddle on the ground wasnt coolant it was water for sure

I think im just going to go and either have them re change my oil or just give me a refund.... and most likely take the time and change it myself next time. I cant believe some people can be so stupid to put in an extra quart of oil in

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
last time i took my car to one of the local ford dealers for an oil change they put about a liter to much in. when i called and asked wtf the service maneger said "thats what the computers are programed to put in, so that why its like that, we always do it." i told them to go f themselves and have done it myself since. they charge $30 and it cost me about $38 but al leas its done right. moral or the story. if you want something done right do it yourself

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
^^^ yup... unless you know the person doing your oil change and trust them... just take the 15 mins or so to do it yourself. That way you know the right amount is in.. you know you torqued the drain plug down right... you know the oil filter was put on right... there are really a lot of things that those shops "forget" to do for whatever reasons that are just way too expensive to fix and very hard to prove whose fault it was

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
<-- Always changes his own oil XD ( When Time Permits )

Ive never seen an overfill trip a check engine.. get the computer read for the code...

I do know overfilling repetitively will cause damage in the future

it just may be oil has sloshed around and was sucked into one of the vent tubes and was caught by a sensor...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i remember changing my 02 sensors in sub zero weather... ya i was pissed! lol

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
ROTFL Try changing the waterpump of a car that won't start in the dead of winter with 2 feet of snow on the driveway after the needle bearings blow out and turn sideways XD

needless to say it was a pain cuz I had to take the WHOLE timing cover off this cars engine even tho it was drivin by the Vbelt LOL

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
^^^ isn't that when everything is suppose to break tho? Stuff either breaks when it's Mother F'n hot!!! or Jesus Christ!!! cold.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
yeah I felt like something broke after that, XD I broke a snap-on ratchet and "thought" I broke my knuckles a few times XD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts