Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 inch are the cheapest winter tire option...are there any issues getting 15 inch wheels when my Titanium is coming with 17 inch all-seasons? other than looks (if i just get black steel rims...looks are already thrown out the window).

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Since every chassis is the same throughout the trim levels and Ford offers everything from 15" to 18" why do you think there would be a problem? The only thing you'd want to do is have the computer set for the overall diameter change.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since every chassis is the same throughout the trim levels and Ford offers everything from 15" to 18" why do you think there would be a problem? The only thing you'd want to do is have the computer set for the overall diameter change.
that has to be done by the $$$ford$$$ dealer?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'm sure it will be cheaper than any potential speeding tickets. 1mph can make all the difference between getting pulled over or not. It will also keep your mileage reading accurate.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There will not be an overall diameter change with appropriate sized tires.

The stock Titanium 215/50-17 tire has a 25.5" diameter
Stock SEL has 215/55-16 tire has 25.5" dia.

Interestingly, the stock 15" on an "S" is 195/65-15. This has a 25" diameter, 1/2 inch smaller than a Ti or SEL. I am looking at the 205/65-15 winter tire / wheel / tpms setup for winter. That size has a 25.5" diameter, the same as our stock Ti tires.

I can understand why you would wonder if the 15's would work. Some have speculated that the rear disc on the Ti/SEL/SE Sport force a 16" or 17" wheel. The truth of the matter is that the rear rotors are smaller than the fronts, so sizing from base to Ti will fit in terms of wheel sizes. I doubted this a bit and confirmed with the Service Manager at my Ford dealer.

No, I haven't been obsessing about my winter tire wheel package at all, honest.
[rolleyes]

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about the TPMS sensors...do you know when they'll be available & approx how much?

·
Registered
712 Posts
There will not be an overall diameter change with appropriate sized tires.

The stock Titanium 215/50-17 tire has a 25.5" diameter
Stock SEL has 215/55-16 tire has 25.5" dia.

Interestingly, the stock 15" on an "S" is 195/65-15. This has a 25" diameter, 1/2 inch smaller than a Ti or SEL. I am looking at the 205/65-15 winter tire / wheel / tpms setup for winter. That size has a 25.5" diameter, the same as our stock Ti tires.

I can understand why you would wonder if the 15's would work. Some have speculated that the rear disc on the Ti/SEL/SE Sport force a 16" or 17" wheel. The truth of the matter is that the rear rotors are smaller than the fronts, so sizing from base to Ti will fit in terms of wheel sizes. I doubted this a bit and confirmed with the Service Manager and at my Ford dealer.

No, I haven't been obsessing about my winter tire wheel package at all, honest.
[rolleyes]
Thanks for saving me a bunch of time BSP! [thankyou]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I think I'm going 16" anyway because I think the 15" tires will look funny... :p

But if they're cheaper and a (significantly) smoother ride... maybe not? I also want the aero covers on my winter steelies... anyone know where I can get some that don't look civicesque?

·
Registered
683 Posts
How about the TPMS sensors...do you know when they'll be available & approx how much?
They have the TPMS available now for a phone order, but not on their website. Noone at Tire Rack could explain that to me, but I don't care because they were very helpful. The TPMS cost $42.00 each, which from my research is a pretty darn good deal.

Thanks for saving me a bunch of time BSP! [thankyou]
You're welcome, it's about time I was able to contribute something here! I've learned a lot from Focus Fanatics members and hope to continue to both learn and at times contribute too.

[cheers] [ffrocks]

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
as long as the break disc size doesnt change from an "S" to titanium trim, you can run the same 15" wheels and tiresize.

I would definately go with the 15". its cheaper and there is a better selection of tires. and you get more cushion when hitting those winter pot-holed roads.

im not sure how the tpms works on the 2012s, but on the earlier generation, many people didnt even bother getting any tpms. just put a piece of black tape over the tpms light.
Your car will not drive any different with a tpms fault light, but you may consider what you insurance company may do if you were in an accident and didnt have the tpms installed.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you have all season, why do you need winter tires?
I am not as far North, but i do see snow from Nov to March and i have used Summer performance all year round and no problems. (I do live in a big city.)
Do you live in the boondocks?
Just wondering?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have all season, why do you need winter tires?
I am not as far North, but i do see snow from Nov to March and i have used Summer performance all year round and no problems. (I do live in a big city.)
Do you live in the boondocks?
Just wondering?
Here it can get down to -40 C / -40 F...plus huge amounts of snow/ice from end of Oct to early April.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's what our streets often look like:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the TPS are about $125 each. I've asked the Parts Dept. at Ford already.
A guy earlier on said they were just over $40 each????

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$125!? I'll take my chances with the non-OEM.
Yeah no kidding. That's an extra $320 just to have official ones???

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am looking at the 205/65-15 winter tire / wheel / tpms setup for winter.
205's seem rather wide for winter tires unless you are going with performance oriented ones. You also need to be careful with rim width, assuming you go with a 15x7 you'll be ok, but anything narrower then that 205's will just make the car drive like it's on marshmallows.

Just giving the voice of experience here.

·
Registered
683 Posts
205's seem rather wide for winter tires unless you are going with performance oriented ones. You also need to be careful with rim width, assuming you go with a 15x7 you'll be ok, but anything narrower then that 205's will just make the car drive like it's on marshmallows.

Just giving the voice of experience here.
Thanks for the tip! On the Tire Rack spec page for the Blizzaks it claims 6.4" tread width on a 6" rim for the 205's. That would be too narrow a rim, by the sounds of what you are saying. Fordparts.com lists the 15" rim as being 6" wide.
I think I'll take your marshmallow tip to heart and stick with the OEM 15" tire size. It is a bit narrower, too, as you said. Definitely not seeking the performance ones, I'm looking for a tire / wheel combo favoring superior snow and ice traction and a bit more cushion on frozen and packed snow roads.

Thanks again, I should have known better, but there are just so darn many variables.

[thankyou]

1 - 20 of 157 Posts