Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys... I'm your typical 16 yr old and I'm looking for the cheapest way to achieve a 1.5" drop. I hear stuff about dampers, etc, but I'm low on cash. Obviously I want my car to be reliable, and hold up. So I will get what is absolutely needed, but can anyone help me out with what I need to buy in order to get this drop? I have no experience with any of this...

Thanks!

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
i know many people will tell u not to do this but i did and havent had a problem yet except for the camber. I got my lowering springs off of ebay for like 70 bucks which is a 1.5 drop. looks great and has been holding up. Thats one way

·
Registered
889 Posts
or cut ur stock spring [:D] lol jk..just look at the buy/sell thread, sometimes you can get cheap springs :), and about ebay, some ppl get lucky some ppl dont, im the one that never gets lucky with it, so i dont buy anything off of it anymore :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
springs with aftermarket shocks/struts. u dont want to run springs with stock shocks/struts cuz they werent meant for lowering and they will eventually give out.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FocusFreak:
How long have you had your springs on? Are they holding up well?

And does anyone else here think I could get away with just springs?

·
Registered
889 Posts
i have eibachs 1.2" drop and i have svt dampers, but i kinda want a bit stiffer, so im ordering rough dampers.. should be better, even with ur stock, id stay ull be fine for a while..

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
cheapest way = chop 1/2 coil off each spring with a bandsaw, hacksaw, sawzall, etc... this will not heat the spring therefore changing its temper. ive seen chip foose do this to many high end cars so before everyone goes bashing this idea it works and works well. it will retain the stock ride comfort because they are still the stock springs, only shorter. just be sure to cut the bump stops down on the strut while each spring is out so it doesnt hit them as easily when you hit bumps. iver personally done this to several cars and it works fine and its dirt cheap.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
^^^ Chip foose does it to aftermarket springs, with different temper. If you cut the stock springs like that, you are going ot be bouncing off the bump stops every day. Plus its going to make your shocks useless in no time. Stiffer aftermarket springs, like the ones Foose uses, wont compress as easily as the soft stock springs, and wont cause you to hit the bump stops on every bump you hit. Cant be good for your control arms either.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
you always cut the bump stops down when you chop a spring. if done correctly it works fine. now i didnt say you could go chopping 2 full coils off the spring. but 1/2 coil is fine off a stock spring.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
i know many people will tell u not to do this but i did and havent had a problem yet except for the camber. I got my lowering springs off of ebay for like 70 bucks which is a 1.5 drop. looks great and has been holding up. Thats one way
Please share which ones you got.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
if you're short on cash, wait until you can buy a half decent kit.

I hate knowing that I'm driving around next to scum bag pieces of shit driving around on broken springs and cheap chineese ebay crap.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
you could buy my drop zone springs lol, but the focus fanatics market place is a good place to pick up parts and i'd rather support a fellow fanatic then an ebay company

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The cheapest QUALITY way to do it is probably the Ford Racing springs and shock kit. I believe Mike from Hillbish Ford is still selling them for around 360.00. That's about as cheap as I've seen for a proven and done correctly 1.5" drop.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
^^^ i have the kit... it's awesome. It's a full 1.5inch and some. Prob a LIL more than 1.5 cuz they have a new spring design

·
Registered
774 Posts
wickedgrayZX3, some people don't have alot of money, especially kids. NO ONE needs to bash people just because they buy off brand stuff that may not last as long. ^^

My thoughts, save some money, then get some decent springs. Progress seems like a good company and I believe they are made in America.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
As I've said hundreds of times before...springs by themselves are not a solution and can actually lead to worse handling. Shorter and stiffer springs need shorter and firmer shocks. The stock shocks won't do it for long if at all. Well matched and designed spring and shock kits are, in the long run, the cheapest and safest way of doing it right the first time.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
eibach... 450+ 1.5 inch drop... frpp kit from mike 360 with front spring/strut assembled for you, also 1.5 inch drop. Both comparable to each other. eibach=quality, frpp=quality... just an idea

1 - 20 of 28 Posts