Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I recently purchased a ZX4 ST. I love the car. I have been lookin' for one for almost 3 months.
I would like to slowly get upgrade parts for my car. I am looking to see if I can
get another extra 10 or 20 hp out of this DTEC engine.

What would be the cheapest, and most efficient way to upgrade
the ST's performance? (without adding a Turbo kit)

thanks for future replies

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
First off welcome[welcome]

I would start with either SRI(short ram intake) or CAI(cold air intake). The CAI will get you 1-2 more hp then the SRI. You can get anywhere from 6-10 with one of these. I have the Focussport CAI and couldn't be happier. Then after that you could get and exhaust, then header. Let it breathe better.

It will cost around $150-$250 depending on what you want.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies!

Isn't an aftermarket CAI a pain to install? I was looking up on those filters and reading
that they are kinda difficult to mount and that you have to modify stuff, in order to mount it.
I mean, it should be something you can do without going to a garage right?

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
no, CAI's are simple to install. all you need is a few different common parts from the tool shelf. It takes about an hour to do. An exhaust is something you might want to consider taking to a shop, as is a header if you arent too car-mod savvy. I highly recommend the focussport or the steeda intake.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Yea the CAI and SRI's are a piece of cake. The hard part is taking out the stock airbox. Putting in the new one is a breeze. I vote FS CAI!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Go with the Steeda intake, that sucker sounds sweet and i felt gains right away... also it only took like 45 min, and that was my first mod as well... and this weekend installed trubendz 2.5... exhaust was 330 and the intake was around 200... i did them both myself as a rookie!!

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
^yea, but if you have the fs, the cone is pretty well hidden, so it wouldnt be too much of a worry

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leamington is in Ontario, 50 mins away from Detroit US. Lots of snow in the winter but awsome summers.. So I might consider an cold air intake and exhaust..

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Leamington, Home of the Giant Tomato! I'm originally from Chatham.

I recommend the K&N CAI for your ST. I noticed a big difference when I put mine in my ST.

·
Registered
100 Posts
check out my sig. it lists my mods and the power i am putting down to the wheels, which is about 30 more than stock at the wheels

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leamington, Home of the Giant Tomato! I'm originally from Chatham.

I recommend the K&N CAI for your ST. I noticed a big difference when I put mine in my ST.

hehe that's right Raypro, Tomato city!
I like the way your ST looks btw..

So you don't have any problems with your K&N CAI getting dirty in the winter, or is it just a matter of checking/cleaning the filter every once in a while?

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
hey psy.... if you want, i have a Cosworth balance shaft delete kit i could sell you for cheaper than you can buy it anywhere else... PM me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I already informed about a K&N FIPK and one of my colleagues knows a guy who sells one for cheap.. but thanks anyway Honhon

Raypro, nice pics.. I love your rims and the autobots logo lol
Any troubles installing the FIPK filter at all?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a mechanic do it but if you have any mechanical ability, it doesn't look hard at all. More work pulling the old shit out as it takes up all kinds of room in there. Get yourself a Borla exhaust system too if you can get your hands on one, sounds really nice :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts