Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why mods can I do to my 2.0 zetech? I have the car in nice condition now I want a little more power, I have a soup can exhaust on it for some loudness. I was looking at $40 cold airs on eBay. Any other mods I can do for around $100 or less?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
not and gain power. you could gut the cat or get a header. but thats about it.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You get what you pay for. Look around in the Buy-Sell-Trade section, if you're handy you can buy universal pieces and build your own exhaust, and check eBay/Craigslist for blocks of performance (name brand) parts being sold.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
if you buy a cheap cai on ebay,make sure to upgrade the filter the one's that usually are packed with it are cheap and fall apart quickly

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
The words "cheap" and "performance" don't go together well. If you save a little and check the buy sell trade section, you can get steals like I do.

Volant intake-125
Svt header- 100
Cam gears- 125
Ported throttle body-2.79
The deals are there, just check often and don't settle for anything less than a high quality part.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
320 Posts
first...get that fart can off there! lol. not hatin just sayin. my suggestion would be as far as performance and power get ya a catback. adds bout 25-50 horses. not exactly cheap but not all that expensive either. id suggest the fswerks race exhaust. get you a intake to go with it too. you can buy you a decent priced one in the $100 maybe even less at like autozone or something. or like the others said go in the buy-sell spot here or even craigslist. BUT if you do craigslist KNOW YOUR STUFF and THROUGHLY check your product before purchasing.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, if you're going to do mods, not many are *cheap * and it'll make you want to do more...

·
Registered
320 Posts
thats what iv been told and heard. haven experienced it for myself though. i could have the numbers wrong but ive read that it does add to the hp

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
cheap mods.
port your throttle body. cost $5-7 for some epoxy
poly dog bone insert $25
maintenance if its not all up to date. (plugs, wires if bad, change the fluids, clean filters/replace)

get rid of soup can for something not rice.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
thats what iv been told and heard. haven experienced it for myself though. i could have the numbers wrong but ive read that it does add to the hp
2-5hp is probably what you get from a catback on a zetec if you have a header/orp or highflow cat.

stock manifold and cat. maybe 1-2hp.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The cat is where all the power is loss on the exhaust system. The only way around it is to get a hi-flow cat or ORP.

I would never say there is only 1 part that sucks the power.
The stock manifold doesn't flow that well and the lenght/tuning isn't conducive to power.
The diameter of the piping just can't flow well.
The CFM capabilities of the stock mufflers aren't up to par.
Etc.

It takes a well working system to get power.

If you go through and figure it out there is an approximate figure for the zetec of ~ $30/HP. So if you want 20 more HP you'll end up spending about $600.
But that doesn't mean spending $600 will always get you 20 more. You have to choose parts correctly.

Cheapest HP/$ is Nitrous Oxide.
For the power you can get (up to 100hp) and what a turbo kit costs (~$3,000). You can get good power for years and still come out ahead.
NO2 kits costs about $800 (on the high side) and bottle fills can be had for about $80 and should last around 20 passes (depending on the shot).

$3,000 - $800 = $2,200 / 80 = 27 fills or 540 passes.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yup, exactly. the focus motor (unless the dtec) is not like a honda motor, not easy to squeeze power out of unless you go w/ boost. and if you really want to, nitrous is ur best easiest bet, however, Jon forgot to mention the tuning of nitrous. it will cost a bit to tune, but will be worth it. if you tune for it. Nitrous is safe. its people who just throw on a 40-50 shot thinking they will be ok, then they blow their motor, and they say its not safe. lol, they are morons. but if you go through the proper steps, and not spra below 3500, then ur golden and it will by far be ur best bet!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Easiest and cheapest option might be just a better tune.
Or have an exhaust bent up. Tip if you remove your exhaust and bring it to a muffler shop not on the car it's a lot cheaper to get 1 made. It cost me $150 for a cat back bent up at 2 1/4" with flex resonator and chreome tip. I didn't use a muffler I just put a 18" resonator on the back side with a tip on it not too loud.

·
Registered
774 Posts
after owning my car for six years I would say the combined mods I have done would net me about 25HP/30Ft of TQ. my next mod for power will be 'NOS'. Some cheap things I did along the way that changed the feel of the car...

Lower dog bone mount inserts to stiffen up the shifting
Home brew custom Short ram Intake
changed the MTX-75 trans fluid to Royal Purple
cut off the 'lunch box muffler'

Those three things will change the feel of the car, the sound, etc. And they might gain you a few extra horses. Word of warning, the lower inserts for the tranny mount made my dash vibrate- it wasn't untill I got a tune and raised the idle up did that go away.

Are you new to modding/wrenching on cars? if so, gather all the info you can ahead of time before you start into any project with your ride. Its like the saying, measure twice, cut once.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Is your car an automatic? if so, I would say save up and supercharge it if you want some real power gains- if you want fast and furious go neons, minty clean and low- speed costs cash.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts