Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i'm looking to mod my stock 2000 zts. but as i'm only 17, i don't have that much money, nor do i have great mechanical skills. i can probably do a lot of easy stuff with the help of my dad. so i'm only looking to spend about 500 dollars. but i would like to get nice mods for a cheap price, but i also don't want it to look like crap, or have it look funky to only have minor mods and have it look terrible. but at the same time i'd like to get good performance out of it. thanks.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
exhaust, k&n filter, and an underdrive pulley. all of these you can do yourself, and will total up to about 500 bucks. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what brands would be good for me too get for the exhaust and underdrive pulley? also how many pieces of exhaust do i want to get?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
exhaust wont give u any power. id skip that.

500 id get a mac ram intake, fc 65mm tb, and afx udp. that will def give your car the best performance gains for 500 bucks. all easy to install also.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
euro.... exhaust will give you more power than a ram intake, that's for damn sure.

go with what i said, fezz. seriously the best with 500 bucks. get a focussport catback exhaust (299?), k&n drop in panel filter (50 bucks, tops), and an underdrive pulley (focussport, 100 bucks). that'll do you good. check www.newedgeperformance.com for all these parts.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Scrion, are you talkin about a whole exhaust (header, flex, high-flow cat and cat-back) or just the cat-back itself?
Go with what Euro says. The 65mm T/B is definitly worth your money.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
catback wont give you anything running of a stock exhaust mani, stock cat, and stock flex pipe. way too many bottle necks before catback. all it will do is look ok and make his car louder. no noticeable power though, definately no where near what an intake will get u.

same thing with the k&n panel filter, wont give u any real power, only get it if ur stocker is no good anymore.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
thing w/ the catback is, you gotta start on the exhaust somehwere, catback is probably the easiest piece to change(after flex of course) and makes the most difference by itself, though yes most of it is audio visual enhancement, and Euro the K&N thats going in my ram air seems to do a nice job[;)]

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
gotta still disagree with you, euro. sorry man. [:)] no hard feelings.

i'm with mofocus. [:)]

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
its cool man.

the thing with the exhaust and having to start somewhere is he is only spending 500. his start on the exhaust could very well be the end. if he can only spend 500 might as well get the best gains.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
cup is half empty eh Euro? theres always tommorow, and even still if i only had the 500 and that was it, id stll get the best deal i could, i never really went in any order of mods, i just sort of bought the best deals i saw, got the Borla for 250, used, but Borla is good FOREVER, and you can always pick up a used intake pretty cheap, just look around find good deals on stuff, if you like cost efficiency over the popular or perfect stuff, thats what id do

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
cant argue with that. if u can find a kick ass deal like a borla for 250 id say go for it. i was more or less on the thinking pattern of if i had to live with just 3 mods on my foci and no others id go with the volant, tb, and afx. which is kind of what ive been stuck with for a few months now :)

used parts would be a good idea, check out the classifieds around the jet, club focus, and any other focus forum u can find. might find some hidden treasures.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First time here, and this thread answered some questions for me on inexpensive mods. I have a few extra questions to add. What are "fc 65mm tb, and afx udp"? Do the cold air intakes really do much? What about Diablo chips, are they worth the cost/performance?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yea Euro, I know what your talking about when you say the cat-back won't give you any power compared to getting other mods for $500.00 but a cat back will give you about 3 whp, and besides you get a nice sound depending on the cat-back you get.

Erik-smith> The fc 65mm tb is the Focus Central 65mm throttle body, the afx udp is a under drive pulley, and Cold air intakes do help alot. Diablo chips, many say that is the best chip and if you have an automatic, it should be your first mod because it can improve shifting, it can also help manuals too, they raise the speed limiter on the focus also which now is around 110mph so if your thinking of doing over 110mph you should get a chip and you can get a custom burnt chip through diablo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FC 65mm TB = Focus Central 65 millimeter Throttle body, Found at focus-central.com
Basically increases throttle response and gives you some more power due to air flow.
AFX UDP = AFX is the company and UDP is underdrive pulley. Everyone has there own opinion on that one, I like AFX personally. It doesn't increase Horse power for you, just underdrives your acc. and gives the engine back its lost power so to speak.
And yes, cold are intakes do help you a great deal. Don't get a throttle body unless you have an intake, you'll get the best gains from that.
As far as chips go, I would leave it alone untill you get some more mods for yourself and get one custom burned for your car.
Hope that helps Erik.

Draven

1 - 20 of 25 Posts