Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my stock 2000 ZX3 look better. I've been searching on here (been through 20 pages of results, without results!), and i need some instructions on how to make the housing of my headlights black.

Also, the exterior part of the housing have a slight haze to them, so what sort of product would i use to remove the haze?

And finally, what other exterior (or interior) mods would make my car look better for pretty cheap (under 150 bucks)?

Performance will come later, i am vane before i am fast [target]

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Use regular white toothpaste on your headlights. It will help remove that haze. It'll take some elbow grease to get it off, but it a heckof a lot cheaper than the regular cleaning kit suff. Good luck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks focusman. I bought the paint today and i'm gonna prep it tonight and hopefully by tommorow, i'll have some real results done! Jpimpin, i tried the toothepaste. My car smells good, but no results for me. :( However, i went out and bought plastic-X or whatever it's called, hopefully that works for me!

If anyone has anymore suggestions for me, feel free to tell me. Also, anyone know where to buy VHT niteshade?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
While youre painting id grab supplies to paint the rear hatch trim, side trims, handles and mirror caps to match your cars paint. Itll look much better

also, grab a euro grill (c-f-m.com and other places have them). itll really look good with the fresh headlights.

nightshade the tails and side markers

and start saving up for a drop, do springs and shocks at the same time- an otherwise stock foci on, say, sportlines will look 100x better

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While youre painting id grab supplies to paint the rear hatch trim, side trims, handles and mirror caps to match your cars paint. Itll look much better

also, grab a euro grill (c-f-m.com and other places have them). itll really look good with the fresh headlights.

nightshade the tails and side markers

and start saving up for a drop, do springs and shocks at the same time- an otherwise stock foci on, say, sportlines will look 100x better
Where can i get matching paint? I checked 2 atuozones already.

Got pics of a euro grill? And i am def' niteshading everything i can.

My camaro z28 i had before was lowered on sportlines and i couldn't make it up driveways/speedbumps, and it rode like i was offroading (though it cornered like a train). I think that'll be my last mod. Even though it makes the car look a million times better, i'm gonna hold off on that for a bit just because of ride quality.

Again, thanks guys for all your help/patience.

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
here's a linky to a whole selection of the euro grilles: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=326. the top piece are $100 easy including shipping, and the bottom set is around $50. also i came to notice that niteshades spray paint doesnt have a clear coat, and over time it fades out. so i would get some sticky, longer lasting tint from rvinyl.com. its $20+shipping. another good mod is to get some sidemakers (clear or blacked housing) from ebay. its usually around $20-36. o you can paint the sidemirror caps, it adds the "svt" custom look

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here's a linky to a whole selection of the euro grilles: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=326. the top piece are $100 easy including shipping, and the bottom set is around $50. also i came to notice that niteshades spray paint doesnt have a clear coat, and over time it fades out. so i would get some sticky, longer lasting tint from rvinyl.com. its $20+shipping. another good mod is to get some sidemakers (clear or blacked housing) from ebay. its usually around $20-36. o you can paint the sidemirror caps, it adds the "svt" custom look
Cool thanks for the link. Would ebay be a cheaper place to pick those up? or should i just buy from an online store?

Also, where can i buy niteshade? I can't find it anywhere at any auto stores around here, so i just used some tint from auto zone on my sidemarkers[unsure] [unsure]

I did the black housing on my lights last night (pain in the ass!). Even though i can't feel my fingers still, it was worth it, they look great.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
the headlights came out great man, congrats [thumb]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! What are your opinions on black rims? Mind you i have stock springs, so the wheel gap will be like that till at least this next summer.

Chopped;

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i painted my wheels flat black. here are some pics that might help you decide on whether or not to paint them.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Headlights look great! I think they would look even sweeter if you painted them your body color.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i painted my wheels flat black. here are some pics that might help you decide on whether or not to paint them.

wow, your car is gorgeous! [pray] [thumb] [thumb]

I'm still iffy. I may paint the inside parts black, and leave the outside part silver.

As for the headlights, i like them. Until i upgrade to some halo style ones, they will stay the same. Niteshade should be at my house tomorrow. So i assume that by wednesday or so, i should have some more pictures of EVERYTHING blacked out. [thumb]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah get the pics ASAP man, I'm lookin to spoof up my car too so I'm kinda following your thread. Hahaha. Also can I ask if you found a solution to the haze problem? Mine look pretty bad and I'm looking for a good way to replace them since I can't afford to buy brand new lights right now. Saving for an exhaust [woot]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah get the pics ASAP man, I'm lookin to spoof up my car too so I'm kinda following your thread. Hahaha. Also can I ask if you found a solution to the haze problem? Mine look pretty bad and I'm looking for a good way to replace them since I can't afford to buy brand new lights right now. Saving for an exhaust [woot]
Seriously, can't wait until i can niteshade mine! [thumb][thumb]

As for the haze...well, i wet-sanded mine down with 1500, and then 2000, then used some plastic polish and a microfiber towel. While it was nothing like those pictures on the how to for polishing headlights, or like new ones; they are considerably better than the disgusting haze i had before (the pictures make it look like i don't have any before, but i def' did).

I am actually planning on doing some more wet-sanding, starting with 1200>1500>2000 and then if i can find 2500, i'll do that too. I had some pretty bad scratches and still do have some because i didn't spend much time on them, so if you're feeling brave and honestly have nothing to lose (i couldn't make mine worse[thumbd]), just go for it. To make it easier, just take the headlights out and disconnect them from the car. That way you have leverage when sanding and you won't mess up your paint either! [clap] It only takes like 10 minutes to take them out if you have them up on jack stands. So it's worth the time IMO.

PS:you post pics too, if it works! [thumb]

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
should have done colormatch headlights. and i dont like black rims they look like winter steel wheels to me. good job on cleaning up the headlights

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
should have done colormatch headlights. and i dont like black rims they look like winter steel wheels to me. good job on cleaning up the headlights
Thanks! As for my car, with the bright blue color, color-matched headlights just scream rice. Same with interior, it might look cool to have accent colors the same as the body, but for mine it ends up looking obnoxious and ricey. And i don't want that.

Silver/Black/Dark Blue/White or other "cool" (color temperature) colors can pull that off much better than mine [thumb]

Damn you niteshade! Get here!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts