Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed the cheap, cloth like fender liner they use in the rear? wtf is that crap????[rant]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It's called sound deadening, and it's not cheap. It's part of the reason the inside of the car is so sound-insulated, especially for being a C-segment economy car.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
ford should have used the felt on the INSIDE of the wheel well liner. This is the same set up on the previous gen. focus and all it does is trap dirt and drip water/snow for hours after being parked in the garage. Im sure a better, equally cheap way could have been devised so as to eliminate the water issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ford should have used the felt on the INSIDE of the wheel well liner. This is the same set up on the previous gen. focus and all it does is trap dirt and drip water/snow for hours after being parked in the garage. Im sure a better, equally cheap way could have been devised so as to eliminate the water issue.
Its on the outside because it helps to cushion the impact from rocks and debris, adding to the sound deadening. It cleans off with a quick spray from the pressure washer.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
perhaps u don't live in snow country where it doesn't clean off as easily as you state AND clean or not it still drips water for an extended period of time.

On my old focus i removed the felt an heard absolutely no difference in noise levels. yes, it can cushion a rock's impact but a flying rock, at least in my locale, is a rare occurence.
surely with ford's resources something more suitable could be fashioned w/ the same or similar results.

Oh, the felt can also be oversprayed w/ bed liner eliminating the drip problem.. I did that and it works great.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
perhaps u don't live in snow country where it doesn't clean off as easily as you state AND clean or not it still drips water for an extended period of time.

On my old focus i removed the felt an heard absolutely no difference in noise levels. yes, it can cushion a rock's impact but a flying rock, at least in my locale, is a rare occurence.
surely with ford's resources something more suitable could be fashioned w/ the same or similar results.

Oh, the felt can also be oversprayed w/ bed liner eliminating the drip problem.. I did that and it works great.
I removed it on my 2001 worst mistake I made. Everytime my car flings rocks I can hear it in my car so bad that I had to line it with dynamat.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I removed it on my 2001 worst mistake I made. Everytime my car flings rocks I can hear it in my car so bad that I had to line it with dynamat.
This. It might not make a huge difference with road noise, but you'll hear it immediately when a rock gets flung up into sheetmetal or plastic rather than a cushiony sound dampening material. Bedliner sounds like a neat trick but essentially makes the exterior a rubber/plastic and will probably add to the noise a bit too.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Rocks are flung up by the front wheels as well, and they are plastic.... I still don't hear any difference than before i altered the liner.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted via FF Mobile
They should have used plastic like everyone else does? Mine looks like they tore it instead of using a razor. It looks cheap!! I hope someone comes out with a higher quality liner.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts

Yes, wet snow covered cars drip... nothing will ever change that. It does not matter what the wheel arch liner is made of, the plastic liners still catch snow, ice and salt. the under body has a ton of places that catch ice and drip. [:)][:)][:)][:)], your ac will drip after it has been used. My point is wet things drip, cars get wet, not much you can do except not drive.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Has anyone noticed the cheap, cloth like fender liner they use in the rear? wtf is that crap????[rant]
Hi, please research more before you post an assumption, or maybe just ask a question...
Chris

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Nothing to research!!! looks like shit..... My other cars had plastic? Just sayin
If it's something your other cars didn't have, then it IS something to research before you go posting up that it's cheap and seems to serve no purpose other than catching dirt/water/snow.

It very well does have a purpose, rip it out if you'd like, but honestly, when you're driving the car you're on the inside, so who cares what your rear fender liner looks like?

This isn't your other cars. I wish that point was easy to get through to all the people who complain about the things this car has/does that are different than the way those things worked in their old cars.

It's not your old car, it's a new car, just because it doesn't work the same doesn't mean it's cheap or doesn't work.

EDIT: now I understand why you didn't bother to research, you're the same guy who didn't know the difference between the 2011 and 2012 Focus, another topic some research would have shed light on for you...

·
Registered
613 Posts
If it's something your other cars didn't have, then it IS something to research before you go posting up that it's cheap and seems to serve no purpose other than catching dirt/water/snow.

It very well does have a purpose, rip it out if you'd like, but honestly, when you're driving the car you're on the inside, so who cares what your rear fender liner looks like?

This isn't your other cars. I wish that point was easy to get through to all the people who complain about the things this car has/does that are different than the way those things worked in their old cars.

It's not your old car, it's a new car, just because it doesn't work the same doesn't mean it's cheap or doesn't work.

EDIT: now I understand why you didn't bother to research, you're the same guy who didn't know the difference between the 2011 and 2012 Focus, another topic some research would have shed light on for you...
[thumb][clap][thumb]

Very well said!

·
Banned
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

First of all i did research 2011-2012 and it pulled up all new body style. Yahoo image search. Try it! That's why i didnt know. I will post a pic of the shitty cut liner used on my car That's what i mostly don't like. no one said anything about ripping it out. Just replacing it with something nicer looking.

Don't put someone down when you don't know the facts......If you're going to be a hater...move on

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's a bunny hugging car, It's got my vote.

Quote:
Recycled clothing isn’t just for the thrift store anymore. Starting early next year, the Ford Motor Company will release the next-generation Focus featuring used denim in the seats, carpet backing, and as sound-absorption materials for interior quietness.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/2012-ford-focus-will-have-recycled-denim-seats.html
LOL I can remember the AMC Gremlin X, a couple of years they did a special Levi's Edition which had denim upholstery as an upgrade over the standard vinyl. Awesome!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile
They should have used plastic like everyone else does? Mine looks like they tore it instead of using a razor. It looks cheap!! I hope someone comes out with a higher quality liner.
Actually multiple other car manufacturers use a fabric liner. Subaru's been doing it for years on most of their cars. Volkswagen also does it on some.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The reason the front doesn't use the fuzzies is the location is in the engine bay so noise doesn't transfer to the cabin. The rear is right behind the rear seats and so the inside well will sound like a drum without something to dampen it. One thing you could do is lower the car and put big tires on, then you won't be able to see the lining!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Yeah it's been on them since the first gen focus. I actually had my car for probably two years before I noticed that it had the fabric rear fender well liner. Looks fine to me. Yes I live in a salty snowy area as well as very dirty dusty area when it's not snowing. Never had any issues with having to clean it or noticing it dirty. It just stays wet after rain or washing it for a while.

I was picky with how it looked too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts