Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Ford focus ses, 164,000 miles, started hearing a slight chatter noise which has gotten louder, my brother thought it was a pulley so I replaced the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and the alternator and the noise is still there, read it may be the engine mount so I replaced that noise is still there, just did the transmission mount today and the noise is still there. The noise isnt there when the car is idle or driving at lower rpms but if I go up a hill and have to accelerate over 2500 or 3000 rpms the noise gets really loud, I have absolutely no clue at this point what the noise is and I dont want to cause any damage to my engine by continuing to drive it. Any and all help, advice, suggestions would really help me so let me know what you think it may be, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
519 Posts
"Under the hood" is a bit vague. Try to rule out where it's coming from. Same noise if you rev it up in park? Metal-on-metal or squealing chirp?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chatter is coming from the pulley area on the passenger side, it wont make the noise if the car is running and in park, if I put the car in gear and press the brake pedal with my left foot and give it gas with my right foot noise is slightly there. I drove my car yesterday up a decent size hill and had the rpms at around 3000 and the noise got really loud, thought my car was gonna break down. I can't seem to pin point where the noise is coming from but the general area is the pulley area on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,351 Posts
Possible the water pump or steering pump is going bad or the ac clutch and or compressor. With a serpentine belt it is hard to isolate. I would Jack the car up and take the wheel and inner fender liner out so you can put a piece of broomstick handle on the power steering and water pump and ac compressor and listen for a bad bearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it sounds like I'm gonna stick the piece of handle in and stop the pulleys and listen for a bad bearing? Am I understanding that correct?

·
Registered
519 Posts
So it sounds like I'm gonna stick the piece of handle in and stop the pulleys and listen for a bad bearing? Am I understanding that correct?
1. Engine OFF - pry and look/listen for slack or movement.

2. Engine ON - with a helper nearby to shut it off in a hurry. Use the broomstick as a stethoscope to your ear to pinpoint the noise. Touch NEAR the area, DO NOT RUB THE BELT OR PULLEY. You can touch the pump or A/C compressor directly while testing.

I THINK you're getting something that only happens under torque load. Engine rocks in the mounts and something is grinding or rubbing. Pulley bearings tend to sound like a medium to high pitch whine but only vary with rpm, not always torque load. Water pump will also get louder when you rev in park.

If you have it running and QUICKLY turn the wheel back and forth HARD like you're doing a slalom and it changes or starts-stops it's likely in the power steering pump.

TRY THIS. Get a trustworthy helper. Go to an empty parking lot and have the helper drive in LOW gear in a tight circle while you walk along side and listen. Tell them to vary the steering a little bit. Then go in the opposite direction while you're on the other side.

Do all of the above and let us know what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts