Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternooon to all,
Bought a 2012 Ford Focus SEL- lOVE the car, but have one problem that I can not fix. The windshild wiper chader, have replaced both sides with new arms. I keep the windshild very clean. If anyone has or knows someone with the same problem and has fixed it, Please let me know.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF!

Moved this to the MkIII section for your model to get more looks.

My own past experience is that unless arms are badly bent to angle the blades wrong, it's usually from older blades that have taken a "set" and will no longer "flop" from side to side as they're designed to do.

Odd part is that a VERY clean or treated windshield can make this worse, as there is reduced resistance to the blades to "flip" them as they start back up the windshield.

Cars that set longer without using them, and spend more time in the sun, tend to wear out blades faster.

On my older model, I splurged on Bosch Icons & with some occasional cleaning they lasted six years before needing replacement for exhibiting this behavior. (exceptional life)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I use Rain X. The Rain X totally stops any and all chatter from the ultra long MK3 wipers.
Somefolks hate Rain X. (usually because of a fog like film left on the window as the wiper passes, caused by to little cleaning off of the stuck on grease and solved by applying a lot more Rain X until the problem is gone forever.)

Anyway that is my solution. Rain X.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I started a thread about that same issue. I too have a 2012 sel. The chatter I had was at the very top of the arm swing when it reached the roof line and then reversed. I thought it was hitting some trim. One day I simply swapped left to right, and vice versa, and it went away. Sounds weird I know but it has not returned after a year. And yes, it drove me nuts in the rain.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I started a thread about that same issue. I too have a 2012 sel. The chatter I had was at the very top of the arm swing when it reached the roof line and then reversed. I thought it was hitting some trim. One day I simply swapped left to right, and vice versa, and it went away. Sounds weird I know but it has not returned after a year. And yes, it drove me nuts in the rain.
The op should try that as it changes the direction of the blades.....

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Good afternooon to all,
Bought a 2012 Ford Focus SEL- lOVE the car, but have one problem that I can not fix. The windshild wiper chader, have replaced both sides with new arms. I keep the windshild very clean. If anyone has or knows someone with the same problem and has fixed it, Please let me know.
Welcome to the forum, Barty!

When you mentioned having the wiper arms replaced, was this done at your dealership, or at an independent mechanic? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'm going to chime in with Rain-X as well. It's like wax for glass. Keep in mind how absurdly long our wiper blades are. Stick with the factory blades. 45,xxx miles on mine and I'm only on my second set.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I also use Rain-X, it's great. But I did find the Rain-X blades (Latitude) were not so great.

My OE wipers lasted like 3 years and over 80k miles or something ridiculous. They may even have worked better at 80k miles than the Rain-X wipers work brand new. The Rain-X blades don't work well at the bottom-most portion of the windshield.

·
Registered
976 Posts
OEM blades work great for me..I drive a lot (30K/year) and just replace once a year so on my second set on my 2013. What also helps that I have found is cleaning your blades with rubbing alcohol every now and then (the papertowel you use to wipe them will be BLACK). Rather than treating my windshield with Rain-X, I just use the Rain-X washer fluid..works great.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
For those of you that use Rain-X, you need to try aquapel. Same purpose as Rain-X but lasts upto 6 Months. Just as easy to apply (if not easier) I put on my last application of the stuff in September and I can still see it working now even after a few winter months. Cost a little more of course but it works wonders, I wont be using Rain-x again after using Aquapel.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
True Rain X does wash off. So if you park outdoors the rain while the car sits does tend to wash off the Rain X.
I have indoor parking and am retired. So My single application of Rain X lasts 6 months easy.
So a bottle of Rain X lasts me five years...
Cost is about $3. locally.
The aquapel single use applicator is $10 per. Or at Amazon 6 for $25.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
What also helps that I have found is cleaning your blades with rubbing alcohol every now and then (the papertowel you use to wipe them will be BLACK).
This works GREAT for extending the life of blades, and for cleaning them when they get contaminated by crud - either oily or stuck on like tree sap.

Many decent blades even COME with an alcohol pad for cleaning before installation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts