Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the beginning of june i installed my system (in my sig). The problems start in the beginning of july. Out of nowhere my battery dies, which i figured would happen( i was planning on getting an optima anyways). so, i pop in a wal-mart batt for a quick fix. that batt lasted 4 days. Ok, somethings wrong with my alt. I take it to goodyear, they replace it with a new one (so they say) and i get a new batt. That batt lasts 4 days. goodyear says it was just a dud alternator. Hmmmm.... aren't they bench tested from the factory? So they replace it, free of charge, and they recharge my battery. Lasts 3 days. I'm ticked off. They take it overnight and watch the voltage. Somethings drawing on the batt. Automatically they go for my "high end" system and say it was my fault. I disconnect it, replace the batt. Lasts 3 days. I chew them out for not checking any of the wiring system, and the supevisor says they have no way to check the wiring system. Ummmm.... Ok. Another free alternator in, a brand new interstate battery (a gift for my troubles). I get my car back drive to autozone and have them check my charging system. Batts at 12.5, good. Start the car, batts at 12.5, not good. No charge coming from the alternator. What the hell. I call Goodyear and ask if they know their mouth from their ass and tell them to shove the overpriced alternator and belt up there when they find it. What do i need to check for in my wiring system? Automatically i assume i need to check the ground and power to the alt, but what else could cause a brand new alt to not charge the batt?

EDIT Driving home tonight my battery light came on whenever i held my rpms at or above 3000. turned off when i dropped to 2000. Nothing on but my headlights cause i'm assuming i'm running completely off the battery. I know. Not good, but i have no choice.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think that the alt to battery wire goes through the engine fuse block on my focus... not sure if the wires is actually fused or not.. but you might check that... or maybe they are using the wrong alt?

If you payed them.. make them figure it out..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i hope i found the problem. I believe my ground from batt to fender is bad. when i hold it the right way i get a reading from the alternator. so, i'm planning on killing two birds with one stone and do the big 3 upgrade and replace my batt terminals while i'm at it. i'm crossing my fingers.

oh, i forgot to mention they charged me $424.99 for the alt, $59.99 for the new belt, and $158.00 for labor. (they billed the belt as a second install although you have to remove the belt to get the alt out). My local Ford dealer charges 299.99 for the alt and 49.99 for the belt. Just ranting sorry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i know.

well, ran 4ga ground from bat to fender, engine block to fender, and 4ga power from alt to battery. The power was a pain in the a** but i managed to get it. Hooked her up, had a nice 12.5 on the battery, started and had 14.4. So far so good. I've reconnected my system and still have absolutely no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts