Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It look like i might have some oil seepage at the bottom right of my valve cover gasket. I wanted to know how hard is it to do it youself. And where/which kind i should get? I mean it doesn't look hard but i want to know before i do anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did it over the weekend, and it was not hard. Picked up one at Autozone (couldn't believe they actually stock it) and its a matters of a few bolts and taking the top off. Shouldn't be more than 30 minutes to change the whole thing. Just watch out that you don't tighten the bolts back on too much (I cracked one)

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Its very easy, just take your time and like Wyldstar said, dont over-torque them! I snapped one too by accident -_- I'm guessing the right way to tighten it down is to start in the middle and work your way out? worked for me

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
HAHA Yeah....
Just watch out that you don't tighten the bolts back on too much (I cracked one)
I cracked two the second time I did it.... Took it to the shop for them to back them both out.... $90.

My problem is I called my ford dealer and they told me the torq specs..... They were wrong. Stupid stealerships...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks for the site but can you tell me whats this "valve cover breather tube"?
It's that black rubber tube that goes from the valve cover to the air box usually. It's on the driver's side at the back of the valve cover.

·
Registered
305 Posts
they have a recommended torque spec, but if you tighten them snug...not too tight they should be fine...in the repair manual, it actually shows a sequence of which bolts you should tighten first. Since it's a seal type gasket It doesn't really matter which you get, because they are all spec'd to factory standards....
i think only a couple brands besides Ford makes it (Fel-pro and Victor)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have not done this, but will do so soon. In another recent thread, I was told not to put a coating of oil on the new gasket during installation. The link provided from Focus Hacks says to coat the gasket. My newly purchased Haynes manual doesn't give any mention of the step. So, who did what?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts