Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2012 focus titanium sedan with the DCT and 17" wheels. I currently run the factory recommended 215/50/r17 tires, and I'm looking to get some wider tires. I was told 235/45/r17 would be the widest tire I could put on my wheels (they're 7" wide if I remember correctly).

I wanted to get a few more opinions on this, as I don't want to move to wider tires if it will put significantly more stress on the DCT or if there's any other issue I haven't thought of.

I also know that more than likely I will need my PCM flashed to account for the change in tire size. Is there anywhere you guys recommend to get this done, or is there a way I can change it myself for cheap?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
The 7'' wide wheels are limiting you, I'd run a 225-45 w/ those 7'' wheels. If you want to step up your game....go w/ the st 8x18's running 235-40's.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There's a calculator out there that gives you the proper tires/Rim, size/width you can upgrade to without affecting your odometer. Tire Rack might have it, That was a few years ago. I used it on my Mustang so that I didn't have to get a tune. This helps when looking for lightweight rims and performance tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for all the help. I think I’m just going to stick with some 215s while I have stock wheels, and within the next year or so get some wide new rims and a body kit. I appreciate the replies!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can adjust the tire size , Custom Tune the engine and your DCT where it will perform better day to day and performance wise

Tom
The sizes he is comparing in the original post are the same height. Unless you can tune for tire weight or width a tuning change is not needed. Hopefully your misleading sales pitch didn't influence his decision.

·
FF Affiliate
30,663 Posts
The sizes he is comparing in the original post are the same height. Unless you can tune for tire weight or width a tuning change is not needed. Hopefully your misleading sales pitch didn't influence his decision.
Actually me telling him I can adjust his tire size , engine and trans isnt misleading at all , I can actually do all that

Changing from the 50 to the 45 can change the TRPM ( 792 to 797 ) which would need a Tune to correct it

Why would you feel 5 revolutions difference wouldnt need a Tune , talking about misleading ?????????????????/

Hope you felt better after posting that it was a great help to his question

Tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
Actually me telling him I can adjust his tire size , engine and trans isnt misleading at all , I can actually do all that

Changing from the 50 to the 45 can change the TRPM ( 792 to 797 ) which would need a Tune to correct it

Why would you feel 5 revolutions difference wouldnt need a Tune , talking about misleading ?????????????????/

Hope you felt better after posting that it was a great help to his question

Tom
I didnt say you couldnt do it. Everyone is aware you can tune you have posted it 30k times and have plenty of posts from happy customers. I could also do it using Focccus. There is no reason to do it for less than 2 tenths of an inch differece in size for the two sizes he posted. There is a little over 3 tenths of an inch tread depth do you also retune for tire wear? There are slight variances by manufacturer do you also tune by brand?

I hate that this forum allows advertisers to take over enthusiast threads pushing their products. There is no reason for a tuning response to a basic tire question.

Do you want a proper focus community answer to the question by someone not exploiting the member forum questions for personal gain?

Yes, you can run a 235 45 17 tire on the factory wheel. Its been done many times without issue. However, most (if not all) tire manufacturers recommend at least a 7.5” wheel for a 235 45 17 and the factory wheel is only 7” wide. As mentioned above you could run a 225 45 17 on the 7” wheel but they are about a half inch shorter than stock. I ran 225’s for a few months after I bought my car and they were noticably shorter with stock suspension. I thought it looked funny. I would personally just stick with stock size as long as you are running a stock wheel.

·
FF Affiliate
30,663 Posts
No one took over the thread pushing there product , I told him what ever tire he chose I could tune it for proper speedometer setting , it was short and simple

My answer was a proper answer to his question and I pay a lot to be able to advertise here

Yes the Focccus would adjust it I think but if he is going to spend the money why not had a scan tool that can read and clear the CEL , a datalog tool for datalogging if he ever has issues , tune for the engine for better performance and driveability as well as DCT adjust if he is DCT , Better tool to do the job over the Focccus hands down

I help a lot of people on here and yes I am allowed tell people what I do and sell its called business

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I had 17" rims, and another set of mounted snow tires, I would go with 225/45-17's on my Focus in a heartbeat, if I always travelled alone. Since I have 16" rims I will be putting super-light 225/50-16 Continental DWS-06 tires on the car this spring because I'm cheap/I live in Canada/we regularly drive on dirt or rough roads with people and stuff/some people prefer the Focus with Sport Suspension's more comfortable ride to the lowered and stiffened Acura TSX I used to have/I want to improve cornering capabilities/I want the car to accelerate faster.

My nose-heavy 06 Acura TSX came with 215/50-17 tires, on 7" rims and with a 3250 curb weight there was a lot of tire-scrubbing understeer, and only modest cornering grip. I changed the struts, to lower the car, and a thicker rsb, and changed to 225/45-17 tires on the same 7" rims. That combination worked very well, for me. I researched the issue, years ago, and can't recall every seeing a tire manufacturer's website that had a 7" rim in their recommended specs for a 235/45-17 tire; the same generation Acura TL had that tire size on a 7.5" rim, and if you ordered the TSX with the A-spec suspension the car came lowered with 225/45-17 tires on 7.5" rims.

Ford, however, is all over the board with Focus tire sizes. My 215/55-16 tires have a nominal diameter of 25.3", compared to many 215/50-17s at 25.5", compared to many 225/45-17's at 24.9" or 25.0". The most recommend by Ford snow tire size is 195/65-15, with a 25.0" OD, but also the 205/60-16 at 25.7" - the later being the same size as my 205/65-15 tires [less torque at the road works well in snow, and the shape of a 65-series tire means they ARE narrow at the road].

Can I notice a 1/4" increase in wheel gap? Maybe...yeah, but I remember the change in gearing that I could feel, in the Acura, from reducing the tire diameter by that nominal 1/2". Did the loss of that 1/4" in ride height make a difference on the roads I drove on? Yes, it did, but when the roads were bad I would drive more carefully, and when the roads were good I was flying!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts