Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 180* thermostat on my desk and I need some help. Where is the thermostat and how do I change it????????

If you know what tools I need, please let me know.

Thanks,

[thumb]

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Replacing Thermostat and Housing Instructions

seriously dude, you need to become aquainted with the search button. also you if you look into the ENOURMOUS How-To thread, you will find things like this among a conglomeration of many other mods. tell us how it goes for ya. and also you may want to invest in a tune so you can activate "early fan activation" during stop and go traffic, you will see temps rise a bit above 210F. but at highway speeds, your coolant should stay down towards 180, maybe just a bit higher. good luck with the install[thumb]

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Can this be done without draining the cooling system or will I get coolant all over me if I do??

·
Registered
44 Posts
you will get coolant all over if you are removing the whole thermostat housing to replace the thermostat itself...just have a drain pan(something) to catch it. Just make sure that you have good o-rings for your seals. Also, there is a silver plug on the thermo housing that you might want to check as well. Other than that...it just take a little time. Good luck on it....it took me about an hour or less when I changed mine.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
^^ depending on mileage, you might want to leave that plug and the sensor on the top alone. Heat and coolant swells those orings and they stick to the plastic housing. Pulling them out might cause them to leak....so if they arent leaking, leave it alone. Trust me, I just went through that, lol.

Since you are draining your coolant....while you are replacing it, you might want to go down to the auto parts store and grab some Water Wetter. Its an additive thats supposed to help keep coolant temps down a lil. Its only about 5 bucks or so.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have no leaks so I think I'll leave the o-rings alone.

Wish me luck.

P.s. Off-topic. Just installed the FR STS yesterday and after initially feeling that it was a little stiff, I think it is awesome. The 2-3 shift is as easy as 3-4!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
very true about the O rings and mileage, but I am just one of those freakishly anal guys who has to replace everything, even if some parts don't.....oh, well.....good luck Artood2's!

·
Registered
411 Posts
What is the benefit of installing a new thermostat beyond the fact that the old might not be functioning?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cooler t stat = cooler engine temps = less chance of detonation, more posible whp, less weare n tear.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Especially with the crazy temperatures all over the country. And since I live in Miami, the coldest it ever gets here is 45-50 degrees in the "winter," which usually lasts 3 weeks.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Although I have read peoples arguments that going with a thermostat that is too low of a temp rating could cause your car to never work in its optimal temp range [dunno].......not so sure of the validity on that one, but i wouldnt think 180 is going to be a problem anyways.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait a tick......I was looking at the pics and saw that the t-stat has an o-ring around the edge. My new t-stat from CFM does not have this. Can this be changed over, or will I have to buy a new one?????

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
you can try to use the old one. prolly no problems doing that. but for piece of mind, go to your local parts store and buy a thermostat gasket (o-ring). its just a couple bux.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i have a 180 thermo waiting to be put on too, but i dont want to buy a housing and alot of other crap. Its already a mess just doing the job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts