Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to change the wheels to some bigger once around 18" but i know the tyres have pressure sensors. Which tell you wen they are low. Dont want to pay out for wheels if its going to cause problems with the lights been on the dash. Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you do not buy TPMS sensors and have them installed in the wheels the TPMS light will turn on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you do not buy TPMS sensors and have them installed in the wheels the TPMS light will turn on.

Where do i get them from? And where do you install them? Im
New to all this electronic stuff on cars lol. Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Order from tire rack and they will come to your door pre-installed. I'd guess most of your options should do the same.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
From the op's use of 'tyres' I think he is not in the USA.
Basically the wheels have sensors in them.
If you plan on selling your original wheels you can take out the sensors in the original wheels and transfer them to the new wheels.
The original sensors are on the valve stems inside the tires.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can remove the old sensors and put them on the new wheels in most cases. The sensors bolt to the valve stem for MK3 Foci. You just need new valve stems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the op's use of 'tyres' I think he is not in the USA.

Basically the wheels have sensors in them.

If you plan on selling your original wheels you can take out the sensors in the original wheels and transfer them to the new wheels.

The original sensors are on the valve stems inside the tires.

No sorry I'm from the UK I've tried changing my profile but cant work out how. but anyway so its okay to just change the sensor valves to the new and bigger wheels and they the on bored computer will be okay with that and not keep bleeping away at me. Do you have to do any thing in the settings inside the car? Thanks Elizabeth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can remove the old sensors and put them on the new wheels in most cases. The sensors bolt to the valve stem for MK3 Foci. You just need new valve stems.

Where can
I get the valve stems from any ford garage? Or ebay etc... ? Or are they just rubber ones? Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are not just traditional rubber ones. They have a threaded nipple on the inside that the sensor bolts too. As long as you put the sensors back on the new wheels in the same location on the car they came off, no training is needed.

The valve stems are just like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-Ti...:2012|Model:Focus&hash=item35d9bc2345&vxp=mtr

You can buy them pretty much anywhere.

Cheers for your help. Just had a quick look on eBay. There doesn't seem to be any on the UK eBay but surely, il be able to pick some up from the local ford garage? Cheers

·
Registered
335 Posts
Cheers for your help. Just had a quick look on eBay. There doesn't seem to be any on the UK eBay but surely, il be able to pick some up from the local ford garage? Cheers
Anytime, you can pick them up at your local Ford dealership but I would shop around a bit. The retail on them at the dealer shows $50 US.

·
Registered
629 Posts
As long as you put the sensors back on the new wheels in the same location on the car they came off, no training is needed.

Doesn't matter what wheel they go in, no training is needed. now if you want to train them you can, and that will identify the location. The TPMS does not identify location to the driver.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Unless you are planning on using two separate sets of wheels on your Focus (like changing to winter wheels and tires), you do NOT need to buy new sensors. You only need to have the tire shop transfer the existing sensors from the old wheels to the new wheels. The TPMS will work just fine without any reprogramming if you use the existing sensors.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Doesn't matter what wheel they go in, no training is needed. now if you want to train them you can, and that will identify the location. The TPMS does not identify location to the driver.
It helps when diagnosing to have the sensors in the correct location. But if you get a tire rotation they'll retrain the sensors after rotation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unless you are planning on using two separate sets of wheels on your Focus (like changing to winter wheels and tires), you do NOT need to buy new sensors. You only need to have the tire shop transfer the existing sensors from the old wheels to the new wheels. The TPMS will work just fine without any reprogramming if you use the existing sensors.

Il just be changing the wheels to the 18", the old one will be sold, il not be messing about with winter wheels they will remain the same throughout the year. But if i can just swap the sensors over thats great easier than i thought! I dint know if it would be programmed that the wheels are 16". Never know we cars there making these days! But thank you all for ya help much appreciated .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It helps when diagnosing to have the sensors in the correct location. But if you get a tire rotation they'll retrain the sensors after rotation.

Sorry i dint understand this, are you saying it has to be in the exact place to work correctly?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry i dint understand this, are you saying it has to be in the exact place to work correctly?
You won't notice anything. The TPMS system will work fine. If the vehicle ever has to be serviced and the TPMS sensor is in a different location than what the module thinks it makes it a little more work to diagnose. But nothing you need to worry about as it will still work just fine.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The TPMS will work just fine without any reprogramming if you use the existing sensors.
If OEM Ford sensors are installed in the new wheels training still isn't required. When I put the aftermarket wheels on my car I couldn't get them to train, I think because the stock wheels where near by. However the TPMS light never came on and I was able to finally train the wheels to the car.

Agreed. I like to retrain the sensors after I swap wheels or do a tire rotation. However it doesn't cause a problem if it isn't done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys thats great, just as long as the lights no constantly on thats fine! Whats the correct Pressure for them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts