Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our Focus SEL Hatchback for about two months and it is time to change the oil. Normally I do this myself, but after looking around the engine from the top, and then inspecting the car from underneath (I haven't put the car on the ramps yet) I cannot locate the oil drain plug or oil filter. Do I have to remove the air flow covering that is under the engine and transmission? Or can everything be gotten to without removing the covering?

Tom

·
Registered
232 Posts
WOW! the days of changing my oil are over, at least on my Focus. I wonder how the aerodynamics thus MPG would be affected if the sheild were left off?
it took me all of 3 extra minutes to remove and then reinstall the aero cover so stop [bigcry]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Agreed...the cover is really easy to take off. You have to raise the car up on ramps, though, as it is surprisingly low to the ground.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
WOW! the days of changing my oil are over, at least on my Focus. I wonder how the aerodynamics thus MPG would be affected if the sheild were left off?
I bet plenty of those shields will be pulled off by fast lube oil change places and never put back on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Once on ramps, the lower shield is really easy to remove - probably 2 minutes with a hand-driven torx driver, maybe 30-seconds if you put the torx bit in your cordless drill.

Once the cover is off, the oil plug and filter could not be easier to access. Much easier than any car I've owned in the past 25 years. I wish all my cars were this easy!

·
Registered
468 Posts
We have had our Focus SEL Hatchback for about two months and it is time to change the oil. Normally I do this myself, but after looking around the engine from the top, and then inspecting the car from underneath (I haven't put the car on the ramps yet) I cannot locate the oil drain plug or oil filter. Do I have to remove the air flow covering that is under the engine and transmission? Or can everything be gotten to without removing the covering?

Tom
Here's the same thread reorderd a bit and put into .pdf format. Good luck.
http://www.4shared.com/document/MdsahlDJ/Oil_Change_2012_Ford_Focus.html
[ffrocks]

·
Registered
468 Posts
My '98 Forester had a similar cover under the engine that had to come off for oil changes, etc. Not a real pain. I put an extra proper sized socket in the next filter to be used and it was always there for me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The shield is not just for aerodynamics, if road debris hit your oil filter it could come off and all the oil would drop out of your car on the highway. Jiffy Lube will never touch any car of mine, and I did lose my mind and go there and if they did leave the cover off they would have some hell to pay!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts