Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to change the fuel filter on my 02 focus and was wondering if I can do it with an almost full tank of gas or if the tank has to be empty. I'm not too comfortable messing with gas and would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
follow the howto located at
www.myfordfocus.com

gas in the fuel tank doesn't matter, the fuel lines are purged when you disconnect the fuel cut switch and start your car.... it'll stall in 5 seconds or until you hit the gas pedal, then it will stall.

remember to disconnect the battery before removing the filter.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i just let my car sit for about an hour to releave the gas line pressure then i just changed it i didn't take out any fuses or purge my gas lines.. just have a few rags handy

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Wear some nice rubber gloves that can handle gasoline.

Unless you like your hands smelling like fuel for 2 days or so.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Also, undo the little bracket that holds the filter up, it will allow it to drop down and give you more room to work with. Also, watch your eyes when you disconnect it as some fuel will come out ( alot less if its not under pressure ;))

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
if you gonna do this in the drive way, garage be prepared as it is in somewhat of a tight spot and might be a pita to get out and in, if you have access to a lift or a pit you can drive over ( i do all my work over a pit ) it will make it alot easier, just what i found

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Great tips Viney!

You'll need a socket extension for the fuel bracket. I would also recommend wearing splash goggles. I got some fuel in my eye once doing this... quite a bit of gas can come out even though it's not pressurized.

A little off topic, I'm glad that the focus filters don't need the special fuel filter release tool. I used to have to use one for my Ranger and the first time I did the filter I didn't have one of the little buggers and it took me a good half hour to get the old filter out with just a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.

Back on topic. While it would be nice to have a pit or a lift, ramps will work just fine for this. Just be prepared to get dirty.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not to mention the nasty stuff that pours out of the filter. But then again mine had gone so long without a change that the car was stalling.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
follow the howto located at
www.myfordfocus.com

gas in the fuel tank doesn't matter, the fuel lines are purged when you disconnect the fuel cut switch and start your car.... it'll stall in 5 seconds or until you hit the gas pedal, then it will stall.

remember to disconnect the battery before removing the filter.
That how to is exactly how they mention the task(except they remove the fuel line fuse) in the service manual.
Works like a charm and barely any fuel came out of the filter/lines when I removed/changed mine out.
Remove the fuel line fuse in the engine bay fuse box instead of activating the fuel cut switch.
The fuel line fuse is mentioned in the manual in the fuse section.
Just remove it and start the car.

There's really no need to disconnect the battery.
The fuse is removed and it's not like your car is going to start or do anything without the key in the ignition.
Reinstall the fuse AFTER you have finished installing the filter and have all lines reconnected.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I'll keep this in mind.. I need to change mine out as well.

Luckily I have a lift in my garage.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
if you don't disconnect the battery, you will get a CEL.
Um how ?

1. Remove relay/fuse.
2. Start car until it dies
3. Remove key from ignition
4. Change filter
5. Install relay
6. Start car

At which point does the car throw a CEL when the fuel filter and relay/fuse is back in the car ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts